things to do with babies

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ellie100

things to do with babies

Post by ellie100 »

i'm moving to sydenham next week and have a 1 year old baby. where i currently live there a loads of free baby singing groups and music and paly groups.
can anyone let me know what there is in the sydenham area?

many thanks
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

Music class for a £1.... Every other Thursday during term time from 10 to 10:15am at the Venner Road Hall which is at the high street end of Venner Road. It is on this thursday 12th June. It is a nice small group. Singing followed by tea & biscuits and then a little more singing....
poppy

things to do with babies

Post by poppy »

There is also Penge Family church baby and todder group, which is on the corner of Parish Lane and Green Lane - about a 20 minute walk from central Sydenham. Very welcoming, free tea, coffee and toast for parents and toast and juice for the kids (we used to give a small donation each week). Have xmas party and summer barbecue too. Lots of toys and singing. Used to be on Wednesday mornings from 10 to 12.

Even closer there is also something at Holy Trinity Church, Beckenham, on Lennard Road, so this side of Beckenham near Alexandra recreation ground. I think this is on a Wednesday afternoon - but you would need to check his out.

There is that shop on Sydenham high street - I think it is called Here for Good - which I believe has a baby and toddler group on a Friday morning. But I have never been.

Also, in case you don't know the area generally, there is lots to do for free at the Horniman museum but mostly aimed at slightly older children, but a good way to spend a couple of hours whatever their age.

The 1 O'Clock club at Crystal Palace park, next to the Sydenham entrance, runs every day in term time, all day, despite the name. They do charge but I think it depends on age and is at most £3, might be as little as £1 for a one-year-old. Have a baby corner, painting etc and outdoor equipment.

Both Sydenham and Forest Hill libraries have weekly baby and toddler sessions for free.

Hope this helps.
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

Contact your closest Sure Start who usually have a couple of toddler and baby classes which are free. I used to go to the one in Penge before I went back to work - it is very friendly and there are lots of toys. The one o clock club is useful but it is 3.50 for £1year and over for a session 9-12:30 or 1-4. I also recommend the Penge Family Church group which my daughter still attends with her childminder. The little farm in Crystal Palace is also free - they close at 12 for and hour I think then open again later on until 4. The Horniman also has a great cafe which is completely child friendly...Hope this helps and welcome to Sydenham!
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

I have just discovered a great and FREE music group for babies and toddlers up on the Sydenham Hill Estate run by two very nice ladies. It starts at 10am every Monday for 50 minutes. It is very friendly and they have instruments and puppets etc! I live just off Newlands Park so it is a bit of a hike but worth it!
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

If your baby like the water, the bridge leisure centre do a mother and baby class were they teach them to move and swim and get active to nursery rhymes. Not to sure how much it is but my friend said her little girl loves it.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Whoops sorry - my mistake - I thought from the title I was going to get some WC Fields type recipes.
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Well I posted a similar thread yesterday so it's very useful to see these previous messages with the details of the baby groups :-) I'm being very organised as my baby is due next week but looks like lots of groups close down for the summer anyway so will be useful to have the details for when they restart in September :-)
marymck

Post by marymck »

What do you think of this awful story on another thread about toddler girls having to wear tops in the swimming pool?
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

I haven't seen that, but it sounds desperately sad, god, let kids be kids.