Sydenham Station - Man hurt on early morning of 8 July

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Sydenham Station - Man hurt on early morning of 8 July

Post by JGD »

A man who got onto the track in the early hours of 8 July and made contact with the third rail is said to have life-changing injuries but they are considered not to be life-threatening.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16340 ... ef=mr&lp=5
owlwise

Re: Sydenham Station - Man hurt on early morning of 8 July

Post by owlwise »

What an idiot.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I guess that would depend on his reasons for doing it - which the article does not disclose.

Idiocy is not necessarily present: a few years ago, I saw a couple of boys trying to cross the train and tram tracks at Birkbeck. When I remonstrated with them, they said they thought the train rail was magnetic - not that it had several hundred volts passing through it. That's ignorance.
mosy

Post by mosy »

alywin wrote:I guess that would depend on his reasons for doing it - which the article does not disclose.

Idiocy is not necessarily present: a few years ago, I saw a couple of boys trying to cross the train and tram tracks at Birkbeck. When I remonstrated with them, they said they thought the train rail was magnetic - not that it had several hundred volts passing through it. That's ignorance.
Or misplaced knowledge? I think some high-speed Japanese trains run on permanent magnet levitation principle, so perhaps where they'd learned it from. Not the best way to find out that our trains don't though. The chap in Sydenham deserves our sympathy as the horror of burns isn't something you'd want anyone to suffer.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Have you been through the station? Sudden appearance of lots of hideous graffiti on platform one....
Incidentally, after the deaths on the track in Brixton, I reported to Network Rail about a month ago that the gate next to the Orb gives ridiculously easy access to the track. No idea if they have done anything, but a secure gate with space to squeeze around it is ridiculous. Plus it is too short and easily climbed, especially with the dustbins always parked next to it.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm sure the railway will or should have at least looked at the gate alongside the Orb JRW. The thing these days is how long it takes to get around to doing something however much it is in their legal interest to ensure safety. Of course, it's darn near impossible to shield all track miles everywhere from someone who has a wilful mind to access the trackside.

I wonder if symbols like lightning strikes convey what signs like "Danger high voltage" before them did? Do people even understand the numerous hieroglyphs around these?
JRW

Post by JRW »

I totally agree that it is impossible to keep determined vandals out. What worried me most was that primary school children could do it! It is the old pathway down to the original platform 1, so tempting for them to explore.

The stupid thing is that fixing the gate would save them from spending a fortune clearing off graffiti, if they did some basic DIY at a cost of a few quid's materials and a couple of hours work. Have a look next time you are passing, and see what you think.