Newlands Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chris 1961

Newlands Park

Post by chris 1961 »

I noticed a sign at the traffic lights Newlands Park / Sydenham Road stating bus numbers 75 & 194 on diversion (straight ahead rather than turn left into Newlands Park) from 21.00hrs Weds 1st August.
Does anyone know why this is and for how long?
I need to drive up Newlands Park early on Thursday morning, but it looks like the road may be closed then.
Spark plug

Re: Newlands Park

Post by Spark plug »

Closed both ways at Tannsfeld road for water mains work,don't know for how long though.
chris 1961

Post by chris 1961 »

Spark plug wrote:Closed both ways at Tannsfeld road for water mains work,don't know for how long though.
Thanks - I should be ok getting out at top of Holmecroft Road then.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'd assumed this was to allow for work on the (dirty) lake which has appeared by the Sydenham-bound Penge East bus stop. The notice on that stop indicates that it might be for a week. Ironic that, after we'd "borrowed" the 176 and 197 services for a week Lawrie Park Road looks like getting its own back and "borrowing" the 75 and 194! I haven't yet worked out whether this is in both directions, or only Sydenham-bound. I hope it's the latter.

Incidentally, I'm told a driver training bus was spotted making its way along Venner Road earlier today. Not sure how it managed to get round the island at Penge East!!!!!!
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'm even more shocked, given that for the 2 weeks the 176 and 197 were on diversion TFL's website blithely denied that there was any problem with the routes, https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/status/?input=75 ... n=outbound
zara

Post by zara »

Fun today in wiverton road as diverted traffic including lorries getting stuck, especially at exit to tredown road. Also cars etc racing very fast when there is room to put foot down for 5m. I have not explored the signage at Penge east end but sign directing into tredown road from newlands Park. Who would direct main road traffic down a narrow street both directions when only room enough for width of one car.
alywin

Post by alywin »

At the Penge East end, at the junction with Venner Road, there is literally a "road closed" and "diversion" sign on Newlands Park pointing straight up Venner. No prior warning that I'm aware of - but then of course I haven't been able to come up here on the bus to see whether there are any signs further towards Penge. Surely major traffic should be rerouted via Cator/Trewsbury Road, not down a side road which is to all intents and purposes a dead end?
zara

Post by zara »

This is ridiculous stand offs in wiverton road with traffic facing each other and angry motorists right now.
alywin

Post by alywin »

A No. 75 bus has just gone down Venner Road! This is completely ridiculous!
alywin

Post by alywin »

It would surely make more sense to have Byne and Wiverton as one-way only in opposite directions for the duration, wouldn't it? I know it's bad enough living in those roads at the best of times, traffic-wise.

Is anyone on Twitter, and could get something done about this? Contractors seem to react better to Twitter than to phone calls. Bromley Council refer you to Thames Water, TW refer you to Bromley Council ... round and round in circles ...
Zsazsa

Post by Zsazsa »

I have used Twitter to contact TW - don't expect anything like a sensible response.
Zsazsa

Post by Zsazsa »

As expected - reply " sorry for inconvenience - intend to be finished by 9th August". Computer says we care.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Roadworks.org has it listed as completing 6th August.. no surprise there is a different result with Thames Water themselves lol
alywin

Post by alywin »

alywin wrote:At the Penge East end, at the junction with Venner Road, there is literally a "road closed" and "diversion" sign on Newlands Park pointing straight up Venner. No prior warning that I'm aware of - but then of course I haven't been able to come up here on the bus to see whether there are any signs further towards Penge. Surely major traffic should be rerouted via Cator/Trewsbury Road, not down a side road which is to all intents and purposes a dead end?
I walked along the bus route from Penge this evening: as I thought, no signs of any other diversion notices apart from the one directing everything up Venner Road. There really ought to be something at least at the junction of Lennard Road and Parish Lane directing HGVs to somewhere more suitable.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Are TW actually doing anything up at Tannsfeld? They're certainly not doing anything about the Penge East Lake!
conti16

Post by conti16 »

I made a complaint to Bromley council last friday and follow up yesterday to the highway department as apparently the decision came by then the guy is called ben howard, of course no response as yet.
. if any residents of wiverton road wishes to help to do something about this road would be much appreciated.
Newlands park is re opened today but I think action for the future must take place, this can happen over and over again.
proposal of
one way system
speed bump
sign of speed up to 20 max
on a normal day people are still racing onto wiverton road and I have been here for 9 years and things got worse.despite peole fighting for not be able to drive through it;s concerning that cars don't care this is a residential road and at the bottom of wiverton meeting venner there is a nursery.
thank you
mikej

Post by mikej »

How about making those roads quiet by putting in barriers half way along each of them, so the northern ends would only be accessed from Tredown, the southern section from Venner. You could also stop rat-running in Homecroft by doing the same halfway along. I've seen it done successfully in various areas.
Or is that too drastic?
conti16

Post by conti16 »

alywin wrote:It would surely make more sense to have Byne and Wiverton as one-way only in opposite directions for the duration, wouldn't it? I know it's bad enough living in those roads at the best of times, traffic-wise.

Is anyone on Twitter, and could get something done about this? Contractors seem to react better to Twitter than to phone calls. Bromley Council refer you to Thames Water, TW refer you to Bromley Council ... round and round in circles ...
I have spoke to water thames and it was not their decision they said is all down to local council and transport of London.
I share your view that this road should be made one way to stop all the non sense in the future. the closure of newlands park only highlighted further the difficulty in driving both ways on wiverton road. its too narrow and too many cars on both side of the road