New plans for Calabash of Culture site

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
prince

New plans for Calabash of Culture site

Post by prince »

A change of use application has been submitted for 21 Sydenham road for a restaurant/takeaway.

The application is for a Dallas Chicken franchise and the applicant wants to operate until 1:00am every morning seven days a week.

For those who may wish to comment on this application the reference is

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online ... CAPR_95411
butters

Re: Calabash of Culture

Post by butters »

Two steps forward, one step back eh
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Another chicken shop???????
prince

Post by prince »

I would suggest that if anyone may wish to object that they do so on the grounds that it is primarily a takeaway which lewisham has a planning policy to limit and on the hours of operation which would adversely affect the amenity of those who live above the shops. :wink:
mosy

Post by mosy »

I looked at documents that were available (some weren't), but didn't see the 1 am closing time. Can you pinpoint which document pls? I imagine the council might object to that late hour anyway (not that there's anyone around at 1 am). I noticed that existing Dallas Chicken shops close much earlier, e.g. 9 pm, on websites I looked at.

With only a few seats, it would seem at face value to be primarily a takeaway. If so, I'm surprised there's no mention (that I saw) of home delivery. Woudn't home delivery mean the same delivery bike issue that Nando's had to overcome even though that is primarily a sit-down resto? A lot of the Trip Adviser reviews for Dallas Chicken's other outlets refer to delivered food so presumably it's part of their business model.

As a personal view (so irrelevant), smell - which to me reads as molecules of oil in the air - would not be good with all the existing traffic air pollution at that location. The application takes great pains to describe filtration equipment to be used, so my hope is that it's the best it can be. Re oil, Dallas Chicken seems to describe itself as BBQ (grill), yet state that used oil will be placed at the back so I guess they must use a lot of it.

I wonder if the saturation limit figures will be correct re "near schools" once the "hot food take-away" Nando's and the pizza one open? There's also Hill Top Cafe, Dilz, Shirin, Selim Kebab in the stretch that also do takeaway hot food, even if not on the same side of the road. Just wondering if the imminent Nando's and the pizza one have been taken account of.

It makes no matter what I think, but as mentioned previously the main thing is that stated planning criteria ought to be met. If it is being met, then so be it.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I have just left a comment on the planning form. This really is a terrible idea.
So many reasons why these types of places shouldn't be opened in this day and age - obesity, chicken welfare etc., but the main thing is that there are already about 6 on the high st!
prince

Post by prince »

mosy wrote:I looked at documents that were available (some weren't), but didn't see the 1 am closing time. Can you pinpoint which document pls? I imagine the council might object to that late hour anyway (not that there's anyone around at 1 am). I noticed that existing Dallas Chicken shops close much earlier, e.g. 9 pm, on websites I looked at.

With only a few seats, it would seem at face value to be primarily a takeaway. If so, I'm surprised there's no mention (that I saw) of home delivery. Woudn't home delivery mean the same delivery bike issue that Nando's had to overcome even though that is primarily a sit-down resto? A lot of the Trip Adviser reviews for Dallas Chicken's other outlets refer to delivered food so presumably it's part of their business model.

As a personal view (so irrelevant), smell - which to me reads as molecules of oil in the air - would not be good with all the existing traffic air pollution at that location. The application takes great pains to describe filtration equipment to be used, so my hope is that it's the best it can be. Re oil, Dallas Chicken seems to describe itself as BBQ (grill), yet state that used oil will be placed at the back so I guess they must use a lot of it.

I wonder if the saturation limit figures will be correct re "near schools" once the "hot food take-away" Nando's and the pizza one open? There's also Hill Top Cafe, Dilz, Shirin, Selim Kebab in the stretch that also do takeaway hot food, even if not on the same side of the road. Just wondering if the imminent Nando's and the pizza one have been taken account of.

It makes no matter what I think, but as mentioned previously the main thing is that stated planning criteria ought to be met. If it is being met, then so be it.

Hi, in the planning application form and in the section hours of operation.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Quote by prince: "Hi, in the planning application form and in the section hours of operation." Thanks - found it, the daily 01.00 closing time that is.

I see that question 23 Hazardous Substances asks:
"Is any hazardous waste involved in the proposal?"
The sub-question C saying "Flammable substances (unless specifically named in parts A and B"
Answered as No on the application. Isn't waste oil flammable and thus "involved" in the proposal? (Elsewhere said to be stored at the rear and collected by private collector, so a seeming inconsistency if oil is deemed flammable.)

I'm sure Planning scrutinise all applications carefully.
TeresaR

Post by TeresaR »

[quote="prince"]A change of use application has been submitted for 21 Sydenham road for a restaurant/takeaway.
The application is for a Dallas Chicken franchise and the applicant wants to operate until 1:00am every morning seven days a week.

As this is a change of use application it could be overturned. The more objections from people who don't want to have a chicken shop on this site the better, although some might welcome one.

It does make a difference to get objections in. Mine will be late opening hours causing noise pollution, the use of delivery bikes again causing noise pollution, street littering, also having a new fast food outlet in close proximity to local schools.

Email all objections to planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Reference DC/18/107504 (in the subject field)

Ensure you put your name and address on bottom of objection email, otherwise it is invalid.
butters

Post by butters »

Thanks for all the tips, I have put my objections in.

I love fried chicken, but another cheap chicken place on the high street really isnt needed. How much custom can they really get with two competitors a few hundred yards away?
alywin

Post by alywin »

Mods, wouldn't it be a good idea to split this off and move the planning application bit into Town Hall, where more people might see it?
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

I agree with moving it to Town hall as not many people seem to know about what may happen to the premises.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New plans for Calabash of Culture site

Post by admin »

I have - as requested - changed the title of this thread and deleted the first post, and moved it into Town Hall.

Best wishes

admin
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Objection sent
Couldn't find the application on the portal. Haven't been able to get the portal to work on numerous occasions though, so no surprise there...
Becrob

Post by Becrob »

I sent an objection email and just received a reply saying the application has been withdrawn...

Thank you for your email. The application that you refer to has been withdrawn, therefore we are not accepting any further comments as they will not be considered.

Kind Regards,
LBL Planning Team
London Borough Of Lewisham | Planning Department
3rd Floor, Laurence House, Catford, SE6 4RU

JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Becrob - Just about to report the same!

Objection lodged and email as per yours back.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I just logged my opposition and didn’t receive the response saying the submission had been withdrawn.... it may therefore be worth emailing just in case it hasn’t being withdrawn!
I feel strongly against yet more fast food restaurants in general for environmental and health reasons. It may well be that the site hasn’t had any other interest though...
parker

Post by parker »

Newtosydenham wrote:I just logged my opposition and didn’t receive the response saying the submission had been withdrawn.... it may therefore be worth emailing just in case it hasn’t being withdrawn!
I feel strongly against yet more fast food restaurants in general for environmental and health reasons. It may well be that the site hasn’t had any other interest though...
Get your submissions in incase something untoward is going on, and temporarily withdrawing so people think it is no longer in progress.
John H

Post by John H »

Apparently this company provides "Halal" foods. There is a surfeit of providers of such foods and a dearth of alternatives in Sydenham. There is a need for a fried chicken fast food outlet such as Kentucky Fried Chicken.
JRW

Post by JRW »

It is always worth clicking on track this application, so if they resubmit, you get an alert.