New plans for Calabash of Culture site

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Re: New plans for Calabash of Culture site

Post by admin »

John H said
There is a need for a fried chicken fast food outlet such as Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Then you'll be pleased to hear that our closest KFC (Penge) serves Halal meat.
John H

Post by John H »

admin wrote:John H said
There is a need for a fried chicken fast food outlet such as Kentucky Fried Chicken.
My point was about competition. Those who already offer this facility will have their market share diluted and the net result could well be the loss of several outlets. However I would not patronise any establishment that uses meat obtained by cruel methods... so KFC is off my list now.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

A significant proportion of lamb and chicken sold in the UK is halal, some estimates put the proportions at 51% & 30% respectively. All the major supermarkets publish their policies on halal meat as do the major fast food chains such as Nando's and McDonalds.. McDonalds don't use halal meat, Nando's do in "selected" stores which appears to include all their London outlets, but they say the fact is advertised in-in store. The problem with the less salubrious outlets is that you don't usually have access to this information. Given that there is also a surplus of halal meat in the UK, cheap independent take-always are likely to source their meat from bottom-end suppliers and consequently the likelihood of it being halal is very high. A complication is that some halal meat is pre-stunned, some isn't.
If you want to avoid eating halal meat, and if you do you should also avoid kosher, then you have to be very careful about the source.
mosy

Post by mosy »

sparticus, this is probably more for the Town Pub, but to add to what you say, I read a study that heart and head of cows, pigs etc had to be stunned at the same time as head stunning didn't really work and certainly didn't if misapplied. One of the test studies I read when looking into it was how much the animal-stunning affected the actual meat (i.e. it was tenser indicating a tense animal not mentally numbed by stunning). Other reports refer more to the "smell of death" that animals recognise when led in an ongoing line for slaughter, i.e. they know it's coming. I don't eat meat, but purely at a welfare level (ignoring religious whatevers), I'm not convinced that either halal or not have much to choose between them if the horror for the animal of pre-knowing it's about to die has already occurred.

I had no idea that any slaughterhouse stunned chickens, so the above is probably irrelevant on a chicken thread, doh.

Anyway, it does occur to me that Dallas Chicken might have decided that the premises or parking or proximity to other takeaways might not be ideal and an application might pop up elsewhere.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Admin
I think John H was saying he would NOT eat halal so doubt he would welcome your gleeful suggestion of an halal KFC.
Mosy I’ve never heard any suggestion in my life that halal slaughter is less cruel than ordinary slaughter - ditto kosher though it’s so rare in this context as to be not worth mentioning .

I too would never eat halal meat or kosher meat although I love Turkish and middle eastern food including Israeli type food . It’s a simple consumer choice matter - many of us try to avoid meat that is not reared in a humane way, cruelly slaughterered, of low quality and vague provenence. Most halal meat in the contexts of fast food , at least , falls into this category and many avoid it for that reason . As a meat eater I recognise that all meat consumption is cruel and terrible for the planet but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t at least buy free range , organic and meat known to be reared with good husbandry . We take too lightly the spread of halal into the food chain - often unless you can read Arabic you can’t tell it’s halal unless you rely on assumptions -which few of us would recommend . The thought of it being used in a “ just in case “ kind of way eg halal versions of food for a market that didn’t before demand halal , is not pleasant and the recent outcry about a schools district that refused to supply it on ethical grounds and was then sued by the Muslim council of Great Britain should be a stark warning to the lethargic or afraid to called racist -,it’s a stark ethical and consumer choice and we should discuss it openly and constructively.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Wanted to go to On The Hoof last night and saw it was closed on a Saturday night. Anyone know why and how can a business succeed with erratic opening hours?
Calabash was the same when it was open never knew what days it was going to be randomly closed.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I've found the same with Cherry & Ice - I mean their coffee is gorgeous, but 3 or 4 times I've gone there to find them shut, and it's very off-putting.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

On the Hoof has been closed in the evenings for quite some time now. A real pity because their evening meals were excellent.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Can’t speak for cherry and ice but on the hoof doesn’t have erratic opening ones, it just unfortunately doesn’t open in the evenings anymore. It closes at 6pm everyday apart from Sunday where I think it closes a bit earlier. Generally speaking I think the food there is really good as is the coffee but I guess there either wasn’t the demand for it or the management didn’t want to be working/looking after a business with longer opening hours. They do occasionally do special events (Last year there was a Valentine’s Day 3 course dinner as well as a meeting/talk in the evening re: healthy living) so keep an eye on the shopfront as that’s how I noticed those.
parker

Post by parker »

admin wrote:John H said
The Penge KFC does not sell Halal meat, there is a tool on the website that shows those that do, and Penge isn’t one of those branches.

Also, are we still safe in the knowledge that we will not be getting a Dallas chicken shop?
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

JMLF wrote:Can’t speak for cherry and ice but on the hoof doesn’t have erratic opening ones, it just unfortunately doesn’t open in the evenings anymore. It closes at 6pm everyday apart from Sunday where I think it closes a bit earlier.
They should sub-let as a pop-up restaurant in the evenings. Quite a few places in Brixton food market do this: some of the greasy spoons there, for instance, which aren't normally open in the evenings, have posher pop-ups on Thurs-Sun nights.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I spotted a sign on a lamp post this morning saying there was a submission for a change of use for a Dallas Chicken in the old Calabash of Culture site.... I was in a rush for the train so couldn't see if it was the old application but I spotted the date September 2018.

Does anyone know if this is the old application or if they have reapplied?
JRW

Post by JRW »

I can't see anything online, so fingers crossed it will be an old one. Can you check it out later?
KateLondon1

Post by KateLondon1 »

Urgh that sounds like a terrible idea. Does anyone know if the application has definitely been withdrawn, and who to email objections to as the link doesn’t work?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Generally speaking you need to have the case number and can comment online (which doesn’t seem to register or let you know much!) and/or email direct to planning@lewisham.co.uk with your address and name to show residency.

I think doing both when needed is prob best/safest whether positively or negatively commenting on applications
Last edited by JMLF on 18 Oct 2018 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just had a nosy and couldn’t see anything from August, September or October on Sydenham applications either validated or decided (the two search options) during those times.

Unless I’ve been very silly I would assume that means there is not an application from Dallas (or other) and the note was from the previous application?
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

False alarm! I had another look at the lamp post and it’s an old application dating back to July (so the one which was withdrawn).
JRW

Post by JRW »

Thanks anyway; I'd always prefer a false alarm to missing out on checking an application
mosy

Post by mosy »

I passed the shop today and see it has an "Under Offer" flash sticker across the window.