Should Mayo Road have controlled parking?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Should Mayo Road have controlled parking?

Post by syd »

Hi,

My reason for asking is that there are cars that seem to be dumped there and it’s a minor but important road which seems to be neglected. I’ve seen the benefits of controlled parking for all road users and I think it would make the road safer for pedestrians too. What does everyone think?
JRW

Re: Should Mayo Road have controlled parking?

Post by JRW »

Controlled parking does seem an expensive and extreme solution to dumped cars! We should be able to report them and have them removed, which is certainly not happening in Sydenham

Mayow Road is wide, and for much of its length, residents have off-street parking available to them. If parking was reduced, the increased road width might actually increase speeding, and there have already been too many deaths. Whether residents at the very far end would welcome controlled parking I don't know, but given the cost of parking permits, I think it is unlikely.
syd

Post by syd »

Fair enough about the speeding maybe cycle lanes could reduce the width. My reason for posting is around Loughborough Junction they’ve introduced parking zone and it’s transformed the area. Mayo road looks a bit unloved :D
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

A lot of dumped cars are untaxed if you report to dvla they will pick them up.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Jollylolly wrote:A lot of dumped cars are untaxed if you report to dvla they will pick them up.
There's a website where you can check whether any specified registration number is taxed or not. Can't remember the URL, though.
John H

Post by John H »

alywin wrote:
Jollylolly wrote:A lot of dumped cars are untaxed if you report to dvla they will pick them up.
There's a website where you can check whether any specified registration number is taxed or not. Can't remember the URL, though.
If tax discs had not been abolished you would be able to make a simple visual inspection to ascertain whether or not it is taxed. A policy from the Really Stupid Policy book.

All controlled parking does is make life difficult for people with disabilities, especially with Lewisham's anti-disabled parking policy. In Lambeth disabled drivers are allowed to park in residents' parking bays all day. In Lewisham there are insufficient disabled bays to comply with the law and blue badge holders are not allowed to park in residents bays.

If you really want to shell out yet more money for nothing why not simply put a pile of twenty pound notes in a plain envelope and shove it through the Town Hall letterbox?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Am I being thick? If cars are being dumped, I reckon it might be a touch optimistic to think that the dumper(s) would respect a controlled parking notice.

There was a discussion on here about the perceived duty of the council to remove a seemingly abandoned car (on the Venner Road pocket square at the time) which included learning the limitations on the council as to what they could/couldn't do once a suspicious vehicle had been reported to them. Whatever that might be, it is of course reactive not preventative though.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Lewisham's Free Removal of Vehicles web-page:

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/ ... hicle.aspx

Gov.uk site where you can both check a vehicles status and you can request its removal.

https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Where are you seeing dumped (as opposed to parked) cars on Mayow Road? I agree controlled parking isn’t the answer to that problem.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:Where are you seeing dumped (as opposed to parked) cars on Mayow Road? I agree controlled parking isn’t the answer to that problem.
On the contrary. When our car was stolen - we only recovered it because it had been dumped in a controlled zone. So it got ticketed and then we were chased.

Stuart
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

stuart wrote:
Rachael wrote:Where are you seeing dumped (as opposed to parked) cars on Mayow Road? I agree controlled parking isn’t the answer to that problem.
On the contrary. When our car was stolen - we only recovered it because it had been dumped in a controlled zone. So it got ticketed and then we were chased.

Stuart
Ah, I see, so enforcement of the control zone will result in the removal of dumped cars IF those cars have responsible owners waiting to be reunited with them. Is that the majority of dumped cars (genuine question)?

I’ve never really looked closely at the cars parked on Mayow Road so my question remains about how many are actually dumped. There’s a lot of parking for the park and Forest Hill Cars drivers congregate near the top of the Thorpe.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:IF those cars have responsible owners waiting to be reunited with them. Is that the majority of dumped cars (genuine question)?
Who knows? But at least cars without a resident's or machine ticket - will be ticketed and so when no payment is made or the enforcement officer has trouble finding a spare space to stick the next ticket - the penny will drop.

On our corner threre are two vehicles - one an expensive mini - that are parked illegally and dangerously and haven't moved for months. Not an uncommon event in our street. They are taxed and MOT'ed so they are presumably not dumped. A controlled zone would provide an incentive to halt this socially irresponsible activity. Oh and help free up roads for residents and make a contribution to maybe help pay for some decent street maintenance.

I always live in hope.

Stuart
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A CPZ would certainly help clear that problem from your street. But until all of London becomes a CPZ, it just becomes someone else’s problem. In an ideal world, which authority would you report these illegally parked but not uninsured vehicles to and is there any realistic hope of something being done about it? Enforcement of the rules that apply to all of us would be fairer than making the parking rules punitive in some areas but not others.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

On our corner there are two vehicles - one an expensive mini - that are parked illegally and dangerously and haven't moved for months. Not an uncommon event in our street. They are taxed and MOT'ed so they are presumably not dumped.
Presumably you have run the index numbers through the site above.

If you feel they are both illegal and dangerous - other sites have taken to publishing the description and index number - name and shame.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:A CPZ would certainly help clear that problem from your street. But until all of London becomes a CPZ, it just becomes someone else’s problem.
You have hit the nail [and the solution] on the head.

Trouble is too many people can see the immediate downsides [paying for something they now unsustainably appear to get for free] but can't imagine the glorious upsides that could be within reach if we weren't such a stolid conservative society.

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

In an ideal world, all roads should be patrolled by parking enforcement officers, who should ticket illegally parked vehicles (double yellow parking, etc) . But what is normally the case is that only CPZs are patrolled, as they are greatest revenue producers.

Take photos of offending (offensive?) vehicles and email Lewisham parking team, or just info@Lewisham.Gov.Uk or twitter your local Councillor.
simon

Post by simon »

Just want to ask if a CPZ would affect parking for Mayo Vets? I use it often and usually park close by on Mayo Road, which is useful if you have sick animal.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

I'm sure exemptions could be made for local businesses to either pay for designated parking spaces or permits for customer visits. They would then be free to chose whether to pass that cost onto their clients or not. That would represent a fair fairer way to place the burden of the traffic and associated parking demand caused by the location of the practice.
stuart

Post by stuart »

simon wrote:Just want to ask if a CPZ would affect parking for Mayo Vets? I use it often and usually park close by on Mayo Road, which is useful if you have sick animal.
Loading/Unloading is different to parking so no problem with dropping/collecting off. Actually I don't have a problem with an hour's free parking in most places. Its the people who semi-permanently occupy a piece of what should be shared public space that are the real problem.

We had an incident this morning on the 'wide' Lawrie Park Road where buses were unable to pass each other and caused a total blockage ['cos they couldn't reverse either]. The cause was cars parked on both sides of the road which have been gradually getting wider over the years further narrowing the road.

We have reached a critical point on many roads where two way traffic is now being reduced to single file or jamming. This is no good to anyone. If you believe the prime purpose of a road is getting people from A to B rather than a car park then something has got to give. Can't we begin to agree on that? Then move on to the best way forward for everyone?

Stuart
coll

Post by coll »

I have noticed over the past few months that Enterprise rental has been parking large amounts of their cars along Mayow as well as in the Thorpes. There are Vans, Zip Cars and standard rental cars with with the 'E' emblem on the back of the car lined up along the road. Is this legal?
There is also the man at the end of Bishopsthorpe and Silverdale who has taken to dumping vast amounts of cars throughout the area. Apparently he runs a car towing business and garage on the road and is causing a lot of issues clogging up the roads. It started out as 8 to 10 cars dumped on Bishopsthopre but has spread from there out to Mayow.