Should Mayo Road have controlled parking?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Should Mayo Road have controlled parking?

Post by mosy »

coll, in general public roads are free for anyone's use (unless noted as restricted) but IIRC using a road as business premises is not allowed. Perhaps the one who knows definitively about this will post. If not, I'll see if I can dig out the post that gave info on this.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

anyone operating a business on the public highway needs to have a licence to do so.
so for instance a cafe that has seats outside, needs a licence, and if the licence is granted then they can do that.
I would find it hard to imagine that Lewisham Council would have granted a licence for someone to run a car mechanics business on the road.
There will be an enforcement department of the council who will deal with breaches of licence, or businesses operating without the appropriate licence, or even members of the public doing work without even being a business (if that's what happening).

If you email licencing@lewisham.gov.uk with any queries on this I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction, or inform the right team to take action.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I wonder if we could also tell the council about that pesky tyre business people are always complaining about, that's on the corner of Larkbere and Sydenham roads - see earlier thread?
coll

Post by coll »

The relevant people have been notified repeatedly about this guy. Nothing has ever been done.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

an update on that email address - it bounced back as unknown...!
... further update - reply from a contact I have in Highways
Dear Jon

These issues are being dealt with by Environment (email envirocasework@lewisham.gov.uk), Trading Standards, the Clean Streets Enforcement Team and Abandoned Vehicles. These area have the relevant enforcement powers. Highways hasn’t really been involved.

Below is the current situation as far as I am aware.

When they witness any commercial car repairs, abandoned or untaxed vehicles on the public highway they do take the appropriate legal action against the individual/s.

Officers from the Team have been stickering the cars found on Bishopthorpe Road, however on their second visits the vehicles have always been moved. The Officers then organised an enforcement operation along with the Police and our car removal contractors, which took place on the 14 June 2018.. Two vehicles were removed under DVLA powers and as the owner did not come forward, they were disposed of.

Officers are continuing to monitor the situation and will take further action if they witness any offending taking place. They will also check the abandoned ambulance you mention in your email.

Kind regard