Kirkdale Costcutter

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sparkles

Kirkdale Costcutter

Post by Sparkles »

Hi. New to this forum but wondering if anyone knows what's happening with the Costcutter on Kirkdale? It's been closed for months now but still has stock and security cameras running inside.
syd-gal

Re: Kirkdale Costcutter

Post by syd-gal »

It was robbed last year and also was closed last year. Do a search for "costcutter" in the search box, and several posts come up.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

It was taken over by new owners earlier on this year and has only closed down again recently. Not sure why, but they hardly had any stock in there just before it shut.

Thought it might be having a refurb but doesn't seem to be any signs of reopening
appletree

Post by appletree »

One of the people who worked there told me before it closed that the owners were deliberately running down the stock. But I don't know why, or why it closed.
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

With forest hill coop closing wouldn’t put past them to buy and open another coop as have seen smaller ones
Moonpig

Post by Moonpig »

I noticed that it is currently being rennovated, anyone know what the plans are for it?
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

hmmm lets play ..guess the new shop !! Grey frontage...possibly estate agent.

What would be awesome, tapas or sri lankan restaurant. :D
parker

Post by parker »

Grey frontage, not another Nando’s is it? :lol: That’ll cheer them up down SydSoc
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hmm *Sherlock mode*, grey is used as a generic undercoat for many colours at the deeper end of the spectrum - maybe the grey is deigned to keep us (and Syd Soc) guessing?
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

My new theory is they are just sprucing it up for a possible let.
appletree

Post by appletree »

I was told by the peopke clearing it out that it had been bought by a developer. I expect they are now looking for a tenant.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

One of the builders told us that it was going to be an Italian/Albanian restaurant - odd fusion. I think he was yanking our chain.
We have since spoken to another builder who told us that it was to become three shops but nfda.
appletree

Post by appletree »

Italian/Albanian is actually not an odd fusion; many Italian restaurants in the UK are run by Albanians. Italy has had an important historical influence on Albania and there is a many centuries-old Albanian community in Italy.

Would be a welcome addition!