Payless, Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenham_boiz

Payless, Sydenham

Post by sydenham_boiz »

Noticed some strange goings on here, anybody else?

Low inventory inside the shops, empty shelves...

Expensive flashy cards parked up outside the shop on a regular basis. Gangs of people there everynight playing loud music until the early hours.

Also seen a few things, without going into details, which suggest there is illegal activity...

Wondering if anyone else had picked up on it recently?
MagmaTimes

Re: Payless, Sydenham

Post by MagmaTimes »

All I have noticed is that their bloody PayPoint machine for electricity top-up has been on the blink for months now!

They are well laid-back about it, whenever I ask if it's fixed. I admire their chilled-out approach to retailing.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

MagmaTimes wrote:All I have noticed is that their bloody PayPoint machine for electricity top-up has been on the blink for months now!

They are well laid-back about it, whenever I ask if it's fixed. I admire their chilled-out approach to retailing.
There is probably a reason for that "chilled out" approach but I will leave that be...

Centre News next door has Paypoint I believe if that helps.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Where *is* Payless? I looked up and down most of the high street the other day when I went along it, but didn't spot it.

I have to say, those symptoms don't sound good, based on my experience elsewhere. Perhaps a word with yer friendly neighbourhood police person, if such exists?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

alywin wrote:Where *is* Payless? I looked up and down most of the high street the other day when I went along it, but didn't spot it.

I have to say, those symptoms don't sound good, based on my experience elsewhere. Perhaps a word with yer friendly neighbourhood police person, if such exists?
Opposite the Greyhound.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Oh, you mean where I walk past every time I want to catch the 176? :facepalm: 0/10 for observation again, then :(
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Is there a facepalm emoticon - I could use that !!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

JGD wrote:Is there a facepalm emoticon - I could use that !!
Sadly not an emoticon, but stacks of images that suffice.

Or

:D :D
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Oddly it was closed most of the day today (Sat) and opened again in the late evening.
sydenham_boiz

Post by sydenham_boiz »

Parker1970 wrote:Oddly it was closed most of the day today (Sat) and opened again in the late evening.
It has been like that for the past few days.

Then they will arrive in a white beamer at around 11pm, play loud music, shout and smoke outside.

Literally almost nothing on the shelves now, wtf is going on?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sydenham_boiz wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:Oddly it was closed most of the day today (Sat) and opened again in the late evening.

Then they will arrive in a white beamer at around 11pm, play loud music, shout and smoke outside.

It could be entirely innocent, Centre News next door now has a liquor licence and is open til 11pm so maybe Payless have ditched food etc and just sell bozze and ciggies when Centre news is closed.. but I do suspect something more nefarious. The smell of their smoking is most of the time not a tobacco smell if you catch my drift.
sydenham_boiz

Post by sydenham_boiz »

Parker1970 wrote:
sydenham_boiz wrote:

It could be entirely innocent, Centre News next door now has a liquor licence and is open til 11pm so maybe Payless have ditched food etc and just sell bozze and ciggies when Centre news is closed.. but I do suspect something more nefarious. The smell of their smoking is most of the time not a tobacco smell if you catch my drift.
I've spoken to Centre News staff and they are absolutely fuming about it. Say it's been terrible for business.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yep,

I witnessed and photographed a bizarre incident at 5.45pm on 24th November. I was waiting at the pedestrian crossing when a white Audi swerved in and honked me repeatedly and aggressively to get out of the way. He then mounted the drop-kerb there and drove along the pavement scattering everybody .

Several of us remonstrated with the driver and his friend including the Bookshop people (as he had just driven over their forecourt). He explained he had a 'delivery' for Payless. But we were having nothing of it. He gave up and the picture was taken as he reversed back to the pedestrian crossing - which was his only possible exit - and then reversed into the road as unexpectant traffic came blindly over the hump bridge.

Uncomfortable and dangerous for all those concerned. And if any of Her Majesties Constables are reading this - some 'words of advice' to the Registered Keeper would be appreciated for driiving over our new expensive pavements and espencially the pavement lights which might not be designed to carry such a load.

Homecroft

Post by Homecroft »

Wow, that is terrible behaviour. Well done for capturing a picture of them doing this.

Reading up it seems to make for a rather curious situation. Certainly hope the neighbourhood team would be willing to do something.
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

Great stuff for taking a pic of this idiot, and his reg is clearly visible if our "community" police are interested.
in doing some investigations.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I've noticed similar behaviour from other "corner shops" recently: it may be that they're opening when demand tends to be highest and closing at other times, either for economic reasons or because of staffing problems. It doesn't automatically mean something nefarious is going on.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Met police would advise this to be reported here in order for action to be taken

https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/rti ... -incident/
Tykesthorpe

Post by Tykesthorpe »

stuart wrote:Yep,

I witnessed and photographed a bizarre incident at 5.45pm on 24th November. I was waiting at the pedestrian crossing when a white Audi swerved in and honked me repeatedly and aggressively to get out of the way. He then mounted the drop-kerb there and drove along the pavement scattering everybody .

Several of us remonstrated with the driver and his friend including the Bookshop people (as he had just driven over their forecourt). He explained he had a 'delivery' for Payless. But we were having nothing of it. He gave up and the picture was taken as he reversed back to the pedestrian crossing - which was his only possible exit - and then reversed into the road as unexpectant traffic came blindly over the hump bridge.

Uncomfortable and dangerous for all those concerned. And if any of Her Majesties Constables are reading this - some 'words of advice' to the Registered Keeper would be appreciated for driiving over our new expensive pavements and espencially the pavement lights which might not be designed to carry such a load.

It's also a bit worrying that if you search that reg (YA64 JKS) on the government website to check tax and mot, it shows up as not a valid registration, so I've either misread it or those are fake plates.

Either way, definitely needs reporting to the local plod.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Looks like JXS to me. Can’t quite understand the reasoning behind stuff like this. At all.
Tykesthorpe

Post by Tykesthorpe »

JMLF wrote:Looks like JXS to me. Can’t quite understand the reasoning behind stuff like this. At all.
Ah my mistake you're bang on. Should be easy enough to track the owner then. Ridiculous and unsafe behaviour.