Installation engineer

Living in Sydenham and looking for a gardener, flat or whatever? Advertise free here
paultreacy

Installation engineer

Post by paultreacy »

Can anyone recommend an installation engineer who can remove a gas hob and install an electric hob of same dimensions?

Thank you.

photo@paultreacy.com
mosy

Re: Installation engineer

Post by mosy »

I can't recommend anyone but there are a lot of gas-safe engineers listed for Sydenham area who are on the Gas Safe Register (which is the new name since 2009 for Corgi gas engineers).
https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/
Hopefully one of them will also be qualified for electrical wiring work too if needed.

I have no qualifications whatsoever so you must check with professionals. Thus the following is just info to take or leave.

Installing the new electric hob depends (or used to) on whether there's already a suitable socket adjacent with its own separate 32amp fuse in the fuse box and sufficiently thick "feed" wire between box and that socket. I've no idea if such high-amp wiring can be surface mounted these days or needs to be embedded in the wall(s).

If you already have a suitable high-amp socket, I don't think you need an electrical engineer as the hob is just seated (screwed securely with little clamps and finished if necessary with sealant) then plugged in (I've been there, done that.) If there isn't such a suitable socket, you will (been there done that too).

The new electric hob should show the amperage on the "boiler plate" label - expect it to be more than 13 amps that a standard socket yields, so hopefully you'll have a suitable socket, or at least a spare slot in the consumer box or you'll need a new one of those too probably.
paultreacy

Re: Installation engineer

Post by paultreacy »

Thank you, thank you.