Bell Green - A New Plan, January 2019

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Growsydenham

Re: Bell Green - A New Plan, January 2019

Post by Growsydenham »

I guess people are aggrieved not necessarily over this specifically (although some folk are), but because of the long pattern, which continues despite people's pleas for greater transparency, consultation.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

Case in point.

On Thursday a planning application from a local resident to put an extension on their house will be taken before a full committee of councillors - as the Sydenham Soc have objected. The councils own planning officials say it should go ahead.

I’ve omitted the case details to spare embarsssment to the individual.

From the council’s paperwork:

“The report has been brought before members as permission is recommended to be approved subject to conditions and there is one or more objection from a recognised residents’ association or community/amenity group.”

“7.17 The objection from the Sydenham Society stated that they agreed with the neighbouring occupants’ aforementioned objection and felt that the front façade wall was incongruous with the street scene.

“7.18 The applicant was informed of this objection, and opted to self-prescribe a revision to address those objections. The agent altered the façade to incorporate a window. When reconsulted, both the Sydenham Society and local resident objected to the revised design. The local resident objected to the design of the extension as a whole this time, arguing that a pitched roof side extension of traditional design would be more appropriate.

“7.19 Officers do not hold the same reservations as above, and instead are of the firm belief that the contemporary design is a high quality proposal that will enhance the overall character of the conservation area and application property.”

Doesn’t seem very neighbourly!
LawriePark

Post by LawriePark »

How can we decide whether the above intervention by SydSoc is wrong or right when you haven’t provided the details of the case?

Or is SydSoc always wrong?
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

LawriePark wrote: 22 Jan 2019 19:27 Or is SydSoc always wrong?
Oh Lawrie, Lawrie, Lawrie.

Is this your current thinking ?

Do you have worries about being wrong or are you just looking around for what you think is a softer target.

I keep saying to you - chill - let's go have a beer. If AIO doesn't suit - and its a lovely pub - we can go to a place of your choosing.
stuart

Post by stuart »

LawriePark wrote: 22 Jan 2019 19:27Or is SydSoc always wrong?
Who, apart from yourself, has ever suggested this?

Perhaps you would like to meet me in the Greyhound to explain why you are so negative and disparaging of those trying to make Sydenham a better community. A pub that wouldn't be there without SydSoc!

Stuart
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

LawriePark wrote: 22 Jan 2019 19:27 How can we decide whether the above intervention by SydSoc is wrong or right when you haven’t provided the details of the case?

Or is SydSoc always wrong?
Were members consulted? Did the intervention have the backing of the community?

If the answer is no, then in my book it was wrong. If people don’t like their neighbours developments they should do so in their own names unless they can demonstrate they speak for others.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

New letter from the Syd Soc to the gas company here, asking for the gas holders to be kept. Their plan for the site to be unveiled in November.

http://www.discourse-architecture.com/B ... 190125.pdf
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Given how long the gasholders have been under threat of demolition, I wonder why this plan is only appearing now? I mean, it’s been YEARS. I am neutral about whether the gasholders stay or go, btw. I just find the timing of this interesting. Is it the new players in the game - Discourse Architecture - who are driving this new campaign?
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

I hope there’s lots of housing in this masterplan. Maybe there’ll be a chance for local people to have their say on that before the unveiling.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

I see on twitter some people are now demanding Mayor Egan is forced to resign because they disagree with his application of national planning law relating to the gas holders.

Is this how adults behave when they don’t get their own way?
John H

Post by John H »

TredownMan wrote: 31 Jan 2019 08:28 I see on twitter some people are now demanding Mayor Egan is forced to resign because they disagree with his application of national planning law relating to the gas holders.

who cares? I see the work is well underway. The sooner the eyesores are gone the better.
Pally

Post by Pally »

TredownMan wrote: 31 Jan 2019 08:28 I see on twitter some people are now demanding Mayor Egan is forced to resign because they disagree with his application of national planning law relating to the gas holders.

I'm afraid some adults do yes but not all. Just think about ....B****t !!!! 😊