Better to order direct from local takeways...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Better to order direct from local takeways...

Post by mosy »

...if you want to support them. I don't know how relevant the following is to Sydenham & surround restos and takeouts for online ordered food. However, the BBC exposed shortcomings in Deliveroo and Just Eat ordering-online practices in their Panorama programme in Jan 2019. See video "Takeaway Secrets Exposed", 28 mins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWZx53teIo

I have mixed views about such intermediaries who take a cut without doing much work or taking responsibility, but I'm not happy with the idea that our local outlets could be being bypassed due to "promoted" (paid for) ones pushing good local ones down the "find" search list.

My view is by the way, so just posted for info.
JMLF

Re: Better to order direct from local takeways...

Post by JMLF »

I think I mentioned something vaguely along these lines last year - most takeaways offer 10% discount if you pick up and many offer their own delivery service. Both of these costs I assume outweigh any cut taken by the big delivery companies so if possible I think eating in, picking up or ordering direct all would be essentially supporting local businesses/keeping the high street alive etc.

Will be sure to watch the documentary and many thanks for the info.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I've only ever used Just Eat and the likes thereof unless I can get it direct, was more of an issue where I used to live in Bethnal Green. I am a creature of habit and usually only order Chinese from Golden City who have their own delivery drivers, so I have not needed Just Eat etc since moving to Sydenham.

I could go and pick it up, but it's always on a Friday night for which I have a no cooking rule, so I may as well be fully lazy and get it delivered too :)
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I always order Chinese from my local take away, which is 60 seconds down the road (30 seconds further than the pub), and I ring them up beforehand to place my order for a specific time, long enough away to let me drink a pint on the way.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Agree, I regularly order collect from Gurkhas on the high street and they give a discount for this. Run by very friendly people and I think the food is very good.

I'm not a natural fan of the intermediaries but I think they may have boosted takeaway sales for some businesses, at a price of course.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

rod taylor wrote: 5 Feb 2019 21:49 Can't tell you how many times they've forgotten the consommé.
They probably over-worry about it being cold.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Is there a really good Chinese?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've used the Jade Garden in Green Lane Penge for 25 years and find them excellent.
maestro

Post by maestro »

For really good Indian food, Rukhsana cannot be beaten IMO. I've been a regular in the restaurant since 1990, that'll be 30 years next year and they're still run by the same owner. They'll deliver takeaways to Sydenham or give the usual 10% off if you collect, their number is 8698 3035.

http://www.rukhsanabellingham.co.uk/?ut ... m=referral