Mamma Dough

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Mamma Dough

Post by El Cid »

Mamma Dough is a great addition to Sydenham, but I wondered what people thought about the quality of its pizzas. I've had three takeaways since it opened and, to be honest, the pizzas have been disappointing. While the sourdough base is okay, the flavours don't really work.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Mamma Dough comes in at the higher price end (specials are £12) with many of its pizzas when compared, for example, to Franca Manca in East Dulwich, Bona at Forest Hill, or 400 Rabbits at Crystal Palace.

I'm hoping that the quality of the pizza is down to teething problems, because a decent sourdough pizza place is a welcome addition to Sydenham's foodie scene.

Oh, and I hear from a good source that Blackbird Bakery is planning to open in Sydenham. That would be brilliant.
Holaquease

Re: Mamma Dough

Post by Holaquease »

Blackbirds Bakery looks good. Any further info on that?
https://instagram.com/blackbirdbakerylo ... f32qshk827
RJM

Post by RJM »

I've not tried the Mamma Dough in Sydenham yet, but have had takeaway from one of their other branches which was really good. Hopefully it's just teething issues.

VERY Excited about the possibility of Blackbird Bakery!
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

I've had three takeaways from Mamma Dough and it's been absolutely bangin every time. Also, I thought it was super-cheap especially for a fancy place? Bout 6 quid for a margherita? You can't argue with that!
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

I haven't had a takeaway, but sat in the restaurant for a pizza and I was really happy with mine. I thought the base was good and the quality of the ingredients was great. My wife thoroughly enjoyed hers too.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I have to say I really enjoyed my pizza (and starter AND pudding :shock: ) at the Sydenham restaurant. I actually prefer them to Franco Manca which I find a bit too doughy.

The news about the Blackbird bakery is VERY exciting! I love their cakes/ breads and sausage rolls!
Any ideas where/ when they are looking to open? fingers crossed there is truth in this!

Thanks
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

Unfortunately, I don't have any more details on Blackbird moving to Sydenham. There are several empty premises in the high street, and it would be good to see them occupied, although with high business rates and rents it must be a challenge for any business to turn a profit, not least one dealing with food.
Incidentally, I'd love to know the manufacturer of the light bulbs used in the former Co-op!

It's encouraging that there are happy customers with Mamma Dough. Perhaps I was unlucky. Or maybe I prefer a different type of pizza. Anyway, I hope it succeeds, as it adds to the area.

I stand by my comment on pricing. Mamma Doughs specials come in at £12, while the dearest pizzas at Franca Manca are £8.75, at Bona £10.90 and at Four Hundred Rabbits £10.50.
appletree

Post by appletree »

We were really looking forward to Mamma Dough opening, but when we went, the pizza was not that good. There was hardly anything on the pizza. Bona in Forest Hill is much better. So I think we will probably be going there in future.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Trattoria Raffaele does takeaway pizza - excellent!
Zsazsa

Post by Zsazsa »

We love Raf's but rarely have pizza there as his other dishes are soooo good. We went to Mamma Dough on a Sunday evening when there aren't so many places open. Really enjoyed the food and certainly didn't think it was over priced. Another very welcome addition to the fab range of local eateries.
prince

Post by prince »

Love Raffs and will continue to frequent often and I agree some of their specials are beautiful.

However I think Mamma Dough is an excellent addition to the high street. Very reasonably priced for me. Most pizzas are £10 or below, only their specials are £12.

The food I have had has always been delicious and the service was fantastic.

People vote with their feet and by the huge numbers of people who are going I think the vast majority are more than happy!
alywin

Post by alywin »

El Cid wrote: 6 Mar 2019 17:28I stand by my comment on pricing. Mamma Doughs specials come in at £12, while the dearest pizzas at Franca Manca are £8.75, at Bona £10.90 and at Four Hundred Rabbits £10.50.
Wow. The pizzas at Pizza Express are rather more expensive than those!
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Good pizza, seemed to be a thinner crust to other sourdough places. Very good tomato and rosemary garlic bread. Liked it.

Only seats 40 people, I notice. Seemed to be doing a brisk trade in deliveries though.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

PizzArte Corner of Stondon Park opposite Jenner Health Centre have pretty damn good pizzas and really friendly staff. Well worth the visit.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Agreed. PizzArte is great.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Second visit to PizzArte, great to see this place packed on a Wednesday night
https://instagram.com/pizzartelondon?ut ... o1wt03dmqx