Knighton Park Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamOwl

Knighton Park Road

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Development on the corner looks like its pretty much finished. Anyone heard anything about what (if anything) will be moving into the ground floor space? I heard it will be for retail.
John H

Re: Knighton Park Road

Post by John H »

SydenhamOwl wrote: 19 Mar 2019 14:15 Development on the corner looks like its pretty much finished. Anyone heard anything about what (if anything) will be moving into the ground floor space? I heard it will be for retail.
Well a shop front is hardly likely to be residential is it? It was made clear from the original planning application that it would be a retail unit. Cheaply fitted, so far. No space for any signage.... Cheap and nasty development that overcrowds the site and will add a dozen cars to our parking problems.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

I walk past it daily and think it looks good.
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

I also think it looks quite smart
John H

Post by John H »

You may think that. Businesses will see the downside. No space for a sign. Cheaply fitted. No storage area. No rear access.
John H

Post by John H »

KEVD wrote: 21 Mar 2019 12:55 I walk past it daily and think it looks good.
I have to look out at it. Ugly and it overcrowds the site.
carty

Post by carty »

I think it looks good. Definitely better than the buildings that occupied the space before
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

I also think it looks good. Much better than what was there before.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Why wasn't the bottom floor made into residential? Seems obvious really! Perfectly possible. The houses built opposite next to Kwik fit replaced retail!!!
KPR

Post by KPR »

I think it looks good - definitely better than what was there before. Impact on parking is a concern, but the answer would be residential parking (as discussed here before - a lot of the pressure on parking comes from Hexagon et al). Hopefully the shop will be something long term - not sure a restaurant or cafe will work.
John H

Post by John H »

a condition of the planning consent for Hexagon is that they do not park in KPR and adjacent streets. They are supposed to use the Safeway car park.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I think this development looks really good and I walk past it every day. John H you seem/are reluctant to applaud change or updating... - Safeway went bust in 2005!
rustya

Post by rustya »

what will be going into the new site ?
John H

Post by John H »

Sydenham Syd wrote: 26 Mar 2019 12:34 I think this development looks really good and I walk past it every day. John H you seem/are reluctant to applaud change or updating... - Safeway went bust in 2005!
Then you need to pay closer attention. I will not declare something wonderful when it is far from it. This development overcrowds the site. It will add to parking problems and WHEN its first fire occurs we shall see the fire brigade will be unable to gain adequate access.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

John H wrote: 27 Mar 2019 21:04
Sydenham Syd wrote: 26 Mar 2019 12:34 I think this development looks really good and I walk past it every day. John H you seem/are reluctant to applaud change or updating... - Safeway went bust in 2005!
Then you need to pay closer attention. I will not declare something wonderful when it is far from it. This development overcrowds the site. It will add to parking problems and WHEN its first fire occurs we shall see the fire brigade will be unable to gain adequate access.
I have to say I never said it was wonderful, but it is defo an upgrade from what was there before.
I don't see KPR as being a particularly difficult place to park if you are prepared to walk a minute or two to your door tbh. I've lived there for a few years and fine it is a bit busier, and there are less spaces, but I would stop short of it being a crisis.
John H

Post by John H »

I have lived in Knighton Park Road for more than 30 years and parking is a nightmare for most of my neighbours. My next door neighbour tells me she frequently has to park in Kent House Road. The nightmare really began to get worse when Hexagon built their ugly cheap and nasty building on the corner. Despite a planning constraint requiring their staff NOT to park in KPR the street is swamped with the vehicles of those people. It is rare for there to be any available parking spaces in the street. The parking reports created for the purposes of obtaining planning consent for the corner back to backs were pure fiction and demonstrably so.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you about to call for a CPZ for KPR, John?
carty

Post by carty »

John H - Have you been into Hexagon to have a quiet chat just to remind them of the parking restrictions? Sometimes things just get forgotten.
John H

Post by John H »

admin wrote: 3 Apr 2019 07:56 Are you about to call for a CPZ for KPR, John?
I have no idea what a CPZ is

However... it is high time something was done about the situation with Hexagon parking and the rat-runners that use our road. I suggest blocking KPR alongside the end of the Park House development with pay and display in the small cul-de-sac that would create at the Sydenham Road end. This would require improvements to the end of Hillmore Grove... Kent House Road, however, is wide enough to enable remodelling to provide car parking and improvements to the road design which would reduce the speed of rat runners et al.... I suggest a traffic island at the end of Hillmore and another at the junctions with Bryden Close... a much better option than the lethal situation recently created there by LBL .
John H

Post by John H »

carty wrote: 3 Apr 2019 09:56 John H - Have you been into Hexagon to have a quiet chat just to remind them of the parking restrictions? Sometimes things just get forgotten.
Forgetfulness is not the cause. This has prevailed since day one.