Sydenham Community Radio

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Sydenham Community Radio

Post by El Cid »

Does anyone know know if Sydenham Community Radio is still operating? I've never seen it mentioned in any posters in the windows of local shops, or anywhere else, for that matter. I've visited its web site in the past and listened briefly to a couple of programmes. But I've always wondered how many people actually know it exists and how many people listen to it.
stuart

Re: Sydenham Community Radio

Post by stuart »

Last time I tried to listen to it online from limks on the site - it connected to a completely different station. It would be good if could rekindle the initial enthusiasm. Is anybody listening?

Stuart
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I was thinking the same as I was involved at the start of the Sydenham Community Radio project. It really never got off the ground mainly due to funding I believe.

It would be great to start one up again as I still have some contacts in the Community Broadcasting arena. The one main issue is finding a place to broadcast from. In the past, I've set one up in a porta-cabin in a pub garden, in a some spare office space above a bowling alley and an old morgue when I setup a Hospital Radio Station.

I am happy to meet and sit down with like minded individuals as there is so much a local community station could offer, from education and training through to helping to bring the community together.

Andy
LTBR LEWISHAM

Post by LTBR LEWISHAM »

Hi, all my name is Edmund. I am the Director of Love The Beat Radio. In December last year I took over Sydenham Community Radio and renamed it Love The Beat Radio Lewisham. We have decided that we want it to be a radio station for the borough of Lewisham and not solely for Sydenham. We will be featuring everything about Lewisham and having presenters only based within the borough of lewisham. We have got the local police involved, some of the faiths within the community. We are part of lewisham local. If you want to be part of the team, the doors are open and we are there with open arms. We would like as many people from lewisham to be involved. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me on 07930-820-578.
John H

Post by John H »

LTBR LEWISHAM wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:51 Hi, all my name is Edmund. I am the Director of Love The Beat Radio. In December last year I took over Sydenham Community Radio and renamed it Love The Beat Radio Lewisham. We have decided that we want it to be a radio station for the borough of Lewisham and not solely for Sydenham. We will be featuring everything about Lewisham and having presenters only based within the borough of lewisham. We have got the local police involved, some of the faiths within the community. We are part of lewisham local. If you want to be part of the team, the doors are open and we are there with open arms. We would like as many people from lewisham to be involved. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me on 07930-820-578.
Hardly what the original application was for. Most people in Sydenham have no interest whatsoever in Lewisham. It is just an encumbrance costing a lot and delivering nothing of worth. The title does not inspire confidence either "Love the beat"? Presumably that means it will output a tasteless jukebox.

For those interested in a real community radio station I do have contacts with a training organisation and indeed I am listening to the output of a first rate community station via my mobile phone as I write. However a community station needs an actual community to serve. I am not sure there is one in Sydenham.