Knighton Park Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sydenham Syd

Re: Knighton Park Road

Post by Sydenham Syd »

John H wrote: 12 Apr 2019 14:17 I already posted my solution.

For those who think there is no problem... it is outside my house where the fisticuffs generally happen along with the regular collisions.

On average there is a collision once a fortnight. The screaming of abuse and fisticuffs are about as frequent.
I have never seen a collision on KPR and have lived there for 6 years. On your maths there have been 156 in that period.
I think we must be on about a different Knighton Park Road here.

We get the occasional late night revelers and some clowns playing thumping tunes on a reasonably regular basis, but I think that might be an exaggeration John H.

The one time a year in the last couple that there has been a real issue is when the bloke in number 63 (I think) hosts an illegal summer party. But that wouldn't be solved by a CPZ as it happens on a Saturday.
John H

Post by John H »

Sydenham Syd wrote: 17 Apr 2019 10:22
John H wrote: 12 Apr 2019 14:17 I already posted my solution.

For those who think there is no problem... it is outside my house where the fisticuffs generally happen along with the regular collisions.

On average there is a collision once a fortnight. The screaming of abuse and fisticuffs are about as frequent.
I have never seen a collision on KPR and have lived there for 6 years. On your maths there have been 156 in that period.
I think we must be on about a different Knighton Park Road here.

We get the occasional late night revelers and some clowns playing thumping tunes on a reasonably regular basis, but I think that might be an exaggeration John H.

The one time a year in the last couple that there has been a real issue is when the bloke in number 63 (I think) hosts an illegal summer party. But that wouldn't be solved by a CPZ as it happens on a Saturday.
The collisions generally happen outside my house. Are you in KPR 24/7? I am, for the most part. I even had some woman drive into the back of my car! My neighbours car (and mine) have been bruised while parked... and so it goes on.
stuart

Post by stuart »

John H wrote: 12 Apr 2019 14:17 I already posted my solution
Was that "restrict access to the road"? How do you plan
to prohibit me from parking there whether I'm visiting Hexagon or a friend without further inconveniencing other residents.

Stuart
John H

Post by John H »

stuart wrote: 17 Apr 2019 16:31
John H wrote: 12 Apr 2019 14:17 I already posted my solution
Was that "restrict access to the road"? How do you plan
to prohibit me from parking there whether I'm visiting Hexagon or a friend without further inconveniencing other residents.

Stuart
Where have I suggested any attempt to prohibit anything? The effect is better obtained by making access less easy for visitors. When confronted by a barrier they are more likely to remain outside the barrier... and there are parking bays right outside Hexagon that its clients can use. Prohibition has never worked. However a cul-de-sac tends to deter.
stuart

Post by stuart »

John H wrote: 18 Apr 2019 08:07 Where have I suggested any attempt to prohibit anything? The effect is better obtained by making access less easy for visitors. When confronted by a barrier they are more likely to remain outside the barrier... and there are parking bays right outside Hexagon that its clients can use. Prohibition has never worked. However a cul-de-sac tends to deter.
Doesn't work for Venner Road. Indeed arguably it makes it more attractive for parking not being part of a rat-run. But I think you are ducking the issue. Demand exceeds supply and trying to shift it just makes it someone else's problem. Given supply is not expandable there is only two solutions:

* Charge for priority
* Reduce demand

One is easier to achieve than the other though both are unpalatable to some which is why nothing happens and the situation deteriorates further - even up here in Lawrie Park.

Stuart
John H

Post by John H »

stuart wrote: 18 Apr 2019 10:03
John H wrote: 18 Apr 2019 08:07 Where have I suggested any attempt to prohibit anything? The effect is better obtained by making access less easy for visitors. When confronted by a barrier they are more likely to remain outside the barrier... and there are parking bays right outside Hexagon that its clients can use. Prohibition has never worked. However a cul-de-sac tends to deter.
Doesn't work for Venner Road. Indeed arguably it makes it more attractive for parking not being part of a rat-run. But I think you are ducking the issue. Demand exceeds supply and trying to shift it just makes it someone else's problem. Given supply is not expandable there is only two solutions:

* Charge for priority
* Reduce demand

One is easier to achieve than the other though both are unpalatable to some which is why nothing happens and the situation deteriorates further - even up here in Lawrie Park.

Stuart
taxing people for things they have already paid for simply inflicts further disadvantage onto those less well off. In the case of KPR restriction of access will take the pressure off the parts of the road that are most under pressure. Demand has been increased by the inappropriate development of the corner properties but people think those back to backs are "attractive". Some joined up thinking is called for. I still believe a restriction on through traffic along Sydenham Road is most likely to deliver a host of benefits on the area.
John H

Post by John H »

Yet another near collision outside my house... JUST

much hooting of horns and shouts of abuse!
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer posters should be erected at both ends of Knighton Park Road to help reduce near misses.
Stay safe John H.... :cry:
SandyP

Post by SandyP »

Ditto Sydenham Syd, we have lived on KPR for over 10yrs and have hardly ever seen any accidents, though we get s few speedy cars further up (and some awful parking)! We also experience the annual parties though, at number 50 something, usually in summer (when it’s hot & the windows are open!)

Traffic wise, I don’t think a CPZ is a great idea, it just forces people to park elsewhere, and reduces the available spaces once the council mark out the zone, yellow lines, disabled spaces etc. There’s a new one near Penge East and I don’t think it’s the answer that the residents wanted. Multi car houses don’t help CPZs at all. The issue for KPR is the cut through from Kent House Rd, and Sivyer drivers parking their cars in Hilmore Grove doesn’t help either.
John H

Post by John H »

Clearly you two live at the less used end of the road.... which is not a part of the rat run.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

John H wrote: 20 Apr 2019 13:11 Yet another near collision outside my house... JUST

much hooting of horns and shouts of abuse!
Collision, or near collision?
Surely there have been two or three in the last fortnight, but they were collisions. Not near collisions.
Please only report on (including photos of) collisions.
Near collisions, do not count as collisions.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

I think John H should have taken the username Victor M
John H

Post by John H »

Howard Staunton wrote: 23 Apr 2019 14:40 I think John H should have taken the username Victor M
Hah Hah (not)
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

John H wrote: 24 Apr 2019 22:45
Howard Staunton wrote: 23 Apr 2019 14:40 I think John H should have taken the username Victor M
Hah Hah (not)
I rest my case.
BB_KPR

Post by BB_KPR »

So far I can't think of a time that there HASN'T been a space (or more than one) directly outside our house.
We don't have a car so it's free for the taking! Go wild. No parking problem on KPR.
PackOfDusters

Post by PackOfDusters »

As a resident of KPR I'm also quite perplexed (but entertained) by this thread. Granted, at only 6 years I haven't been here that long, but I live at the Syd road end of KPR and can generally park in front of my house or nearby. Occasionally have to park further down the street but that's no great hardship. Never noticed collisions either :?

What bothers me is the frequency with which the lights at the Mayow/Sydenham junction get taken out.. is it people taking the corner too fast? Trying to overtake and not seeing the traffic island til too late? But that's for another thread..
John H

Post by John H »

PackOfDusters wrote: 25 Apr 2019 14:48 As a resident of KPR I'm also quite perplexed (but entertained) by this thread. Granted, at only 6 years I haven't been here that long, but I live at the Syd road end of KPR and can generally park in front of my house or nearby. Occasionally have to park further down the street but that's no great hardship. Never noticed collisions either :?

What bothers me is the frequency with which the lights at the Mayow/Sydenham junction get taken out.. is it people taking the corner too fast? Trying to overtake and not seeing the traffic island til too late? But that's for another thread..
There's none as blind as them as cannot see.

Just because you are not affected then... it is not an issue. Well it is an issue. The collisions are generally outside my house and so I do see them. The parking problems are a matter of local knowledge among those of use who have lived here for decades. How lucky you must be always to have a parking place. My next door neighbour frequently has to park several streets away... She is more typical of KPR residents. She too has lived her for decades.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

John H wrote: 30 Apr 2019 10:07
PackOfDusters wrote: 25 Apr 2019 14:48 As a resident of KPR I'm also quite perplexed (but entertained) by this thread. Granted, at only 6 years I haven't been here that long, but I live at the Syd road end of KPR and can generally park in front of my house or nearby. Occasionally have to park further down the street but that's no great hardship. Never noticed collisions either :?

Just because you are not affected then... it is not an issue. Well it is an issue. The collisions are generally outside my house and so I do see them. The parking problems are a matter of local knowledge among those of use who have lived here for decades. How lucky you must be always to have a parking place. My next door neighbour frequently has to park several streets away... She is more typical of KPR residents. She too has lived her for decades.
With the parking issue, perhaps it's a case of those residents who have lived on the street for decades also remembering a time when there were substantially less cars were on the road, all those years ago.

So for more recent residents the current issues are the norm.

I don't think KPR is unique in that sense.
John H

Post by John H »

Ghlpc wrote: 30 Apr 2019 10:30
John H wrote: 30 Apr 2019 10:07

With the parking issue, perhaps it's a case of those residents who have lived on the street for decades also remembering a time when there were substantially less cars were on the road, all those years ago.

So for more recent residents the current issues are the norm.

I don't think KPR is unique in that sense.
No. Parking was always under pressure in KPR.
Merpington Mum

Post by Merpington Mum »

Sorry if this has popped up elsewhere and I’ve missed it but to go back the OP question - a change of use planning permission notice is up for that space on the ground floor of that building now, to Class D2, Yoga studio...