Stop the use of Roundup in Mayow Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Holaquease

Stop the use of Roundup in Mayow Park

Post by Holaquease »

Mayow Park and all public spaces in Lewisham are being sprayed with Glyphosate (trademark "Roundup")... Despite the claims by Monsanto that Glyphosate is safe, there is growing evidence that it attacks the millions of bacteria in our bodies that help keep us healthy and further evidence that it plays a part in the growth of chronic contemporary diseases: Alzheimers, Obesity, Depression and cancer.
Text above quoted from this petition. Please sign!

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-of-lewis ... dc75db3462

There is absolutely no need for these chemicals to be used in any public space, whether in Lewisham or elsewhere.

Recent news on Roundup here: https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer ... belltitem5
alywin

Re: Stop the use of Roundup in Mayow Park

Post by alywin »

What do you propose they do instead?
mosy

Post by mosy »

I've read distressingly condemnatory reports from the US about the adverse knock-on effects of Round-up where used, although in context in large quantity and more indiscriminately than one would use it if to eliminate individual or specific shrubs or growths.

Echoing what alywin asks, what to do if it's an aggressive and obliterative root system (so below ground) that's impervious to less harmful chemical killers? I don't know. I have read that dipping the heads of things in a liquid solution is efficient to reach the roots, which strikes me as far better than miscellaneously spraying. Also, even with glyphosate, it takes a fair few goes to kill the root entirely.

From what I've read, I would ban it as an over-the-counter consumer weedkiller and hope an expert would limit its use (and use it sensibly) only where it was absolutely necessary. I raised this on here a couple or three years ago, although one gardener here seems a fan of it I guess not looking at the bigger picture.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

alywin wrote: 16 Apr 2019 12:42 What do you propose they do instead?
Personally I think a more natural approach would be preferable.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Holaquease wrote: 16 Apr 2019 22:19
alywin wrote: 16 Apr 2019 12:42 What do you propose they do instead?
Personally I think a more natural approach would be preferable.
Giz a hint. What would a natural approach be that works for below ground invasive root systems where even if dug out to several feet depth (like mare's tail) needs only 1" left to re-sprout, ditto Japanese knotweed, or even the odd cotoneaster berry? As I said, people wouldn't use glyphosate if anything else worked. So what natural approach are you suggesting?
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

It isn't being used to deal with Mare's tail or Japanese Knotweed. Glyphosphate is ineffective at killing Mare's Tail. Japanese Knotweed is unlikely to appear in a new site as it rarely sets seed in this country. The likelihood of someone planting Knotweed in Mayow Park is, at best, an edge case.

Roundup is being used for the wholesale removal of greenery from the cracks between paving stones and so on. The area shown in the photo on the petition is where my two little boys like to sit and eat their sandwiches. It's unnecessary and potentially harmful.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Holaquease, as said I am wholly against the use of Round-up unless absolutely necessary, so to me using it on everyday weeds is lunacy. Petition signed. I hope others will sign it too.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

I salute you.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Saluting me or other petition signers or the petition starter is merely scratching the surface for as long as Round-up is officially deemed safe. That is in the hands of government/parliament.

Private Members' Bills aren't allotted much parliamentary time, but perhaps an MP somewhere in the UK will herald the cause and might be lucky enough in bill selection terms for his/hers to be chosen. We can but hope.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Holaquease wrote: 17 Apr 2019 05:58Japanese Knotweed is unlikely to appear in a new site as it rarely sets seed in this country.
Hmm, that's debatable. It's illegal to allow it to spread: but that doesn't mean that someone won't, in the same way that they might go and dump their cuttings rather than burn them. (And glyphosate does work very nicely on knotweed)
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Someone could feasibly dump some knotweed cuttings in the park. It's true. Perhaps, were that to happen, and were the cuttings to take root, glyphosphate should be considered as an option.

Regardless of how I have worded it above, which I appreciate could be misleading - the petition is calling for a ban on the systemic use of a known carcinogen in public places.

I'm amazed that anyone would consider that a bad thing, but happy to keep arguing if it means more people see it...
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm resurrecting this petition signature request since it seems that only some 680 people have signed the petition so far. I'm amazed that signatures aren't in the multiples of thousands. Clearly the message won't be widely heard or aired and debated at this rate.

Maybe people buy weedkillers simply on face value of claims of "killing most weeds" and just don't realise that glyphosate is the major active ingredient and that it is potentially harmful to us and certainly to the environment. I've noticed another brand name being advertised on TV, and no doubt it will sell well, unless people realise that this a chemical killer that really should be avoided. Certainly councils should know better than to use it indiscriminately as if it were innocuous.

It's not too late to sign the petition and I urge people to do so:
https://www.change.org/p/mayor-of-lewis ... dc75db3462
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

mosy wrote: 5 May 2019 19:28 I'm resurrecting this petition signature request since it seems that only some 680 people have signed the petition so far. I'm amazed that signatures aren't in the multiples of thousands. Clearly the message won't be widely heard or aired and debated at this rate.
First of all congratulations on setting the petition up and on getting 680 signatures.

The issue has real significance and that number is not insubstantial. Comparatively you have obtained more signatures than than the aggregate number of those who signed for and against the saving of a local pub.

Is this the only media on which you have made public pronouncement ? Perhaps there are more signatories out there who do not subscribe to or view this forum.
mosy

Post by mosy »

JGD, I didn't start the petition, seemingly Iris Borgers did, however, I've worried about glyphosate use for a few years since the first reports started to come out about its potential harm.

If people can spread the word to a larger audience, I hope they will.

I did get feedback from one person that banning glyphosate use outright wasn't the answer, which I accept as it has its uses when nothing else works. It is its widespread indiscriminate use both by bodies such as councils and its availability over the counter that bothers me. By the end of this summer, no doubt more people wanting a weedkiller will be buying it than not, so getting a debate at all might be like rolling a snowball uphill soon, or worse, not being able to unbreak the egg.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

I stand corrected - but the sentiment remains - keep pushing it. Congrats also to Iris Borgers for the good work.

I am entirely unsure, based on new evidence, that glyphosate use even in circumstances of last resort is acceptable.

It would seem to me that its negative impact on our health is one genie that can't be put back in the box and glyphosate certainly should not be in use on a business-as-usual basis for widespread day-to-day weed control.

It would be interesting to see who and how a risk assessment was signed off for this activity.
mosy

Post by mosy »

JGD, I don't know, but the timeline is more likely to be "allowed if used elsewhere until proof it shouldn't be used". This link (they're not hard to find in the sense that it ain't just me or the meagre number of petition signers) shows glyphosate is banned in several countries:
https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/g ... t-about-us

Undoubtedly tree-huggers and planet preservationists will hate the stuff, especially due to its potency, but it's not only tree-huggers who question the wisdom of its use.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

According to an update on the petition, Croydon has stopped using it, so it can be achieved.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Sydney councils move to ban Roundup weedkiller over cancer fears.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/sydney- ... 51quo.html