Refurb at the station / bye bye turdis

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Refurb at the station / bye bye turdis

Post by JMLF »

From the Sydenham Society Newsletter:

Enhancing Sydenham Station

The Sydenham Society and the Sydenham Assembly are working together to improve Sydenham Station and entrances. Helped by a grant from Arriva, a group of volunteers has already begun work on station enhancements. The idea is to brighten up the station for the 12,000 daily passengers who use it and to highlight events going on in the area. Flower planters will be placed on platforms and close to the entrances at Station Approach and Peak Hill Gardens. Noticeboards at both entrances and along Station Approach will keep locals up to date with cultural events, Assembly meetings and happenings on the high street. A display of travel posters will remind passengers about the exciting places – Brighton, the South Downs and central London, for example – that can be reached from the station. It’s hoped the improvements will make it a more pleasant experience using the station and deter littering and fly-tipping in the area.

In related news the “turdis” also seems to be moving to another dimension as there is a sign on t saying it will no longer be in use from 31st May. Assume it’s part of the refurb. Possibly having a lovely community notice board for local events and businesses to advertise in its place perhaps?... (Forest Hill have a lovely ornate one just outside the station which I often see people looking at)
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Refurb at the station / bye bye turdis

Post by JGD »

JMLF wrote: 17 May 2019 11:07 In related news the “turdis” also seems to be moving to another dimension as there is a sign on t saying it will no longer be in use from 31st May. Assume it’s part of the refurb. Possibly having a lovely community notice board for local events and businesses to advertise in its place perhaps?... (Forest Hill have a lovely ornate one just outside the station which I often see people looking at)
Any news on its repositioning or renewal ?

Functionally it is not a coincidence that it is sited where it is. There is no public toilet provision on the station. Commuters on trains could have travelled a long way without access to a functioning toilet as trains frequently do not have them or they are locked out of use. is there any knowledge of how surrounding business establishments view non-customer use of their toilets?

It is probably the case that its branding as the turdis reflects the view of those who dislike its aesthetic.

But it performs a very valuable and key function particularly as a predisposition exists now in this country for the removal of public toilets and they are an increasing rarity. And there are significantly disparate toilet access needs across different age ranges.

Campaigns to get dog owners to bag it and take it home for disposal have a very limited impact - the complete removal of this toilet without a replacement is not necessarily helpful.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Only had a quick read of the poster on the way in this morning but I thought implied it was closed for good (in which case I can’t see the point of the unit staying there!). Might have read it wrong and they are refurbishing it/moving it or whatnot and agree without toilets at stations these things are useful no matter the look of them (not sure why they can’t have them a nice colour or some art on them!). If it is to be removed I’d like to see some clear signage for the nearest local toilets and have the pavilion/the greyhound or others involved in the scheme to have the signage nice and clear with named venues that are content with non paying customers to spend a penny ;)
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

JMLF wrote: 17 May 2019 14:46 Might have read it wrong and they are refurbishing it/moving it or whatnot and agree without toilets at stations these things are useful no matter the look of them (not sure why they can’t have them a nice colour or some art on them!). If it is to be removed I’d like to see some clear signage for the nearest local toilets and have the pavilion/the greyhound or others involved in the scheme to have the signage nice and clear with named venues that are content with non paying customers to spend a penny ;)
No problems with anything that improves the aesthetic.

But if it is removed and not replaced or relocated and the named establishments are not minded to have their toilets advertised for use by the general public who are not paying customers, there are no public toilets in the vicinity that I know of.

Sydenham may about to become known as a locale that does not have a pot to p*ss in.

Even Bell Green is not that deficient. It is characterised by its distant neighbours in Sydenham as a profound failure of development that does not provide a good environment for local people and there is an urgent need for a fresh vision for the area. But then, when in need, shoppers, commuters and passers-by can visit the loos in Sainsbury's without hindrance. Baby changing and Equality Act provisos are addressed and exist in-situ for those who have access and disability issues.

Makes you think.
mosy

Post by mosy »

It is good news about the proposed flower planters, if they'll be maintained. Hopefully extra leaflets won't mean extra litter.

If the loo goes completely, it's easy to guess what will happen instead. As far as I'm aware, it's only the unimaginative look and placement of the loo that is in question, not its reason for being there. So unless there's a plumbing issue or something, I hope the planners know what they're doing.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

Well done on this initiative.

I hope it stops the flyposting -- and especially the gym's balloons which always look very tatty once they've popped, and have left the the paint on the lampposts a real mess.
conti16

Post by conti16 »

are they planning to also refurbish the bridge connecting the 2 platform? is all rusting and I wonder if this is also part of the plan.
I am slightly jealous of forest hill station as very pretty plus has a lift which is very handy when you have 2 twins of 12 months.