Aeroplane sky trails

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Aeroplane sky trails

Post by mosy »

Just noticed that the sky was perfect a few minutes ago to see the myriad criss-crossing of jet trails left behind and even see aeroplanes leaving new trails.

Just thought I'd mention it.
mosy

Re: Aeroplane sky trails

Post by mosy »

Now the trails are dissipating, they look like clouds.

Anyone know exactly what is being left behind in what was otherwise a clear blue sky?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

mosy wrote: 31 May 2019 17:29 Now the trails are dissipating, they look like clouds.

Anyone know exactly what is being left behind in what was otherwise a clear blue sky?
Ice crystals. AKA clouds. Google contrails. Do NOT google chemtrails, which is a conspiracy theory.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Interesting sight over Mayow Park this afternoon. 3 or 4 Chinooks followed by at least 6 single- rotor helicopters. Not in typical British livery- US Maine Corps? Maybe because of a certain visitor next week?
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

mosy wrote: 31 May 2019 17:29 Now the trails are dissipating, they look like clouds.

Condensation
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

seems an odd thing to start a post about.
I saw a leaf on the floor the other day
Or any other random thoughts
mosy

Post by mosy »

syenhamboy wrote: 1 Jun 2019 08:58 seems an odd thing to start a post about.
I saw a leaf on the floor the other day
Or any other random thoughts
Trails caught my attention once before recently on a clear day for the same reason, not because aeroplanes leave trails but that they made a perfect 6-point star (or three directions to form star) which is what intrigued me with their being over Sydenham, so same as they did yesterday but you've got to be blinking quick to take a perfect snapshot.

I looked up contrails, and seemingly water vapour, CO2 and soot. Looks like goodbye blue skies forever doesn't it?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Not an aircraft trail but a bit of a shock when I looked up a few minutes ago to see a rainbow in our glorious sunny sky! No rain, of course, so it must be ice-crystals reflecting the suin that very high wispy cloud. Never seen it before.

JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Beautiful pic Stuart.

Are bandwidth issues still stopping the rest of us posting pix too ?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, great pic and an upside down rainbow too isn't it? Strange.

My mystery of "why three directions" I mentioned, might have a simple answer as I saw one craft West to East bank sharply North almost at a right angle, so probably joined another path.
sparticus wrote: 31 May 2019 20:12 Interesting sight over Mayow Park this afternoon. 3 or 4 Chinooks followed by at least 6 single- rotor helicopters. Not in typical British livery- US Maine Corps? Maybe because of a certain visitor next week?
I heard them but didn't see them. Andrew Marr said this morning that heavy helicopters were whizzing about over London prior to Trump's visit, so sounds plausible.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Were these the ones which went over about 7 pm? I wondered that they were making such a racket. And I did see a big black(?) and noisy copter over here the other day, too.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Looks like part of the US Presidential fleet overflew us about 7:45am.

Think they were also spotted middle of last week.

Not sure why there this far south in this sector as they are supposed to be operating out of Stansted.

Biggin Hill perhaps ?
mosy

Post by mosy »

I can hear them this morning. Only saw one, big double rotor jobby, going N>S, or maybe NE>SW.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Three more US helo's in formation - northbound over us in Bell Green at approx 11:40am.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Stuart - your "rainbow" is called a sun dog. As you say, caused by ice crystals.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Trunps helis have been over Lower Sydenham last couple of days. Today 7 came over at 7.45 am on their way to Stansted, then after he landed, 5 of them came back in smaller groups. Then this afternoon a couple went back towards the city, then returned about 4.30 pm . I got a photo of one just now, 5.15 and can clearly see United States of America along the side.