Crystal Palace Park closure

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
DrowsyDaisy

Crystal Palace Park closure

Post by DrowsyDaisy »

I've just been up to the park, and the top end is being closed off. According to the men doing this, there will be no access to the top end of the park from today until Wednesday 4 September, and this is for a one day event being held there this Saturday (Southport Weekender Festival). I understand councils are under pressure to find revenue from varied sources, and I have no objection to festivals and events being held in parks in London, but this is a large area of the park being closed to the community for 10 days, for a one-day festival. It seems wildly unreasonable for it to be closed off for ten days - I'm sure previous events in the park manage to set up without needing to completely deny access to park users, and in a much shorter time?

Have I been misinformed by the people setting up the perimeter fence - really hope so, as we use the park twice a day for running/dog walking, and given it's the summer holidays, there are huge numbers of people benefiting from this lovely green space, both regular users and otherwise.

Does anyone know anything more about this?
Sapient Syd

Re: Crystal Palace Park closure

Post by Sapient Syd »

Closed to prepare site for the Tranzmission Music Festival

https://tranzmission.london/

Expecting up to 15,000 people to attend :

"Tranzmission has a new home for 2019 at the beautiful and historic Crystal Palace park on the site of the Crystal Palace.

Featuring Drum & Bass, Garage, Jungle, Grime, House, Old Skool and Comedy, this will be London’s biggest summer Rave festival.

For the first time Tranzmission will feature a full outdoor stage which will profile each of the events’ genres as the ‘Main Stage’. Tented venues will cover each music style individually.

There will be a great selection of food and bars on site as well as fair rides and merchandise stalls.

The VIP area is situated on a raised terrace overlooking the Main Stage and featuring its own arena which is hosted by Raindance as well as offering VIP toilet trailers. There is also the VVIP backstage area where you can hang in the Greenroom bar with artists and industry people".

Tickets have now appeared on Groupon so perhaps not as successful as hoped.
DrowsyDaisy

Post by DrowsyDaisy »

Thank you for the info Sapient Syd
alywin

Post by alywin »

Really appalling. But thanks for the reminder: can I borrow some noise-cancelling headphones for the weekend? (Will they be effective enough?!)
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Today is the Southport Weekender until 10pm.

https://southportweekenderfestival.com/
alywin

Post by alywin »

Oh good, you mean it'll be over in 10 minutes? We'll be very relieved. I walked from Penge High Street to the station this afternoon, and got a real blast of it. I'm guessing that must be the best part of 3/4 of a mile away as the crow flies?

I have a nasty feeling tomorrow's is going to be worse - anyone know what time that finishes?
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

It's on from midday until 10pm today (Sunday).
alywin

Post by alywin »

Should anyone feel the need to, the festival's noise consultants (or whatever they are called) can be reached on 01749 574015, so Bromley's noise department tells me.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Ugh, it's getting even worse! Earlier it was largely just the bass thud we could hear - now it's all the vocals and everything else as well. 20 hours of this in 36 hours? Too much!
Last edited by alywin on 1 Sep 2019 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

People moan, nothing happens here, people moan when things happen... Pardon my French... F**k people! 🍟
Emc

Post by Emc »

I heard it in Bell Green yesterday. I took an evening stroll up Sydenham high street, all the way up to Crystal Palace triangle and back and felt pretty bad for the people in the hospice there. Oddly you couldn't hear it around the triangle so maybe the speakers were just pointed to Sydenham.
alywin

... and new festival plans for 2021-23

Post by alywin »

Spotted in this week's News Shopper:

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1870 ... -revealed/
According to the trust, music promoter Festival Republic is applying to Bromley Council for a licence to hold two events on the upper terraces of Crystal Palace Park during summer for the next three years.

Each festival would have capacity for up to 45,000 revellers.
Based on last year's numbers, that's presumably 15,000 visitors per day over the three days, rather than 45,000 a day (I certainly hope so!).
According to the trust, the first festival is planned for July 9-11 next year, with the second taking place a weekend later from the 16th to the 18th.
So, that's two consecutive three-day weekends. Perhaps if action is taken early enough Bromley Council can be prevailed upon to do something appropriate about noise mitigation measures, given the problems noise levels caused last year.