What's happened to the Crooked Billet?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

What's happened to the Crooked Billet?

Post by alywin »

(By the almshouses in Penge). It looked boarded up when I walked past on the opposite side of the road yesterday.
JMLF

Re: What's happened to the Crooked Billet?

Post by JMLF »

Closed for a few weeks for refurbishment. Rumour has it it has been taken over by the same chain “craft union” that own the Pawleyne Arms round the corner and recently acquired the Hill in FH. If this is true then expect cheap drinks, Tv screens for sports etc.

Seems to be a running theme at the moment smaller chains taking over several premises in the same area - eg: Antic have just announced their 3rd location in CO triangle and although nothings happened for over 3 years at a planned location they have 2 locations in Penge.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I thought it already had screens :) But thanks for the information - I was a bit worried it might have closed.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Done up all in grey, at least on the outside, now. (I thought I read grey was very last year?)
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

It looks just like the Pawleyne further down, which is not surprising as they are both run by Craft Union (an Enterprise Inns subsdiary). The Pawleyne is very busy these days and tbf seems a slightly mre pleasant place to go.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

The grey exterior of the Pawleyne Arms refurb is an improvement, and a perfectly standard bit of functional design. But every time I look at its terrible signage I wonder what was going through the person's head: it's like someone sat down and asked themselves "hmmm, how can we find a combination of all-capital-letters font and materials that will look the most jarringly awful, achieving a sort of temporary-signage-bunged-up-for-now effect that is, sadly, permanent?"