Coop Forest Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Coop Forest Hill

Post by syd »

Hey, I saw the lovely new coop in Forest Hill and I can’t help but wonder why haven’t we got one anymore. Is there something wrong with Sydenham?
alywin

Re: Coop Forest Hill

Post by alywin »

New Co-op? Where?

(Don't be taken in by appearances. I found the lovely new one down at Eden Park was a bit of a disappointment)
syd

Post by syd »

It in Dartmouth road opposite the tile shop. It’s a bit weird that they’ve give up the footfall from commuters. I would have extended into the carpark, that site is gold and the new site is just a bit too far
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Do you mean Stanstead Road? Towards Catford - the former Maplin building by the garden centre?
There was a planning application in 2018 to convert the other co-op in Forest Hill (Waldram Park Road) into a hotel. Could be that Co-Op are relocating.
stuart

Post by stuart »

It's a great location. There is very little competition within easy walking distance - so a captive market in the heavily populated zone between FH & Sydenham Sainsburys. Also parking is as good as it gets round there. Their strategy is, I think, to go for the places that Lidl/Aldi have left free as they can't compete on price.

Stuart
syd

Post by syd »

monkeyarms wrote: 20 Nov 2019 09:27 Do you mean Stanstead Road? Towards Catford - the former Maplin building by the garden centre?
There was a planning application in 2018 to convert the other co-op in Forest Hill (Waldram Park Road) into a hotel. Could be that Co-Op are relocating.
Yes Stanstead road.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 20 Nov 2019 11:28 It's a great location. There is very little competition within easy walking distance - so a captive market in the heavily populated zone between FH & Sydenham Sainsburys. Also parking is as good as it gets round there. Their strategy is, I think, to go for the places that Lidl/Aldi have left free as they can't compete on price.

Stuart
There was a Sainsbury’s in the petrol station and I think an M&S for a bit and they both failed but I hope I’m proved wrong cause it’s really handy!
mosy

Post by mosy »

If austerity really is easing the new Co-op ought to do well as they are good as long as no immediate competition will kill it on price competition. Sydenham Road closed at a time when the Co-op bank was struggling so lots were closed but it was maybe 20% or even 30% higher price on some things compared to Lidl and nearby Tesco metro so its customers were fewer than needed. Fingers crossed for the new one's success.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Despite rumours to the contrary, the exit of the co-op from the corner site may presage the start of the construction of the 85 bed hotel.

Not sure the relocation site is the best choice - the existing corner site was convenient for many nearer to Forest Hill town centre and not least the home-coming commuter footfall.

And good luck to the new venture.
syd

Post by syd »

Hey, I went in yesterday and it’s great lots of choice and space. The only problem is the location but I hope I’m wrong.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Just out of interest, does this new one have those ridiculously tall shelves, as the Syd. Rd. one did after a refit making shopping there a real chore having to keep needing an assistant's help? I wonder if that was part of its downfall. You mention lots of space - is it user friendly?
syd

Post by syd »

mosy wrote: 23 Nov 2019 16:00 Just out of interest, does this new one have those ridiculously tall shelves, as the Syd. Rd. one did after a refit making shopping there a real chore having to keep needing an assistant's help? I wonder if that was part of its downfall. You mention lots of space - is it user friendly?
. I didn’t notice the shelve height but it does have step free access, wide aisles and parking.