Black cabbies in celebration.....

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

Black cabbies in celebration.....

Post by maestro »

TFL strips Uber of license to operate in London.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tfl- ... l#comments
Rachael

Re: Black cabbies in celebration.....

Post by Rachael »

They’ll still be operating while appealing the decision.

I’m a big fan of Uber for convenience, cost and what I perceived as better safety, and it’s local mini cabs rather than black taxis that have lost my trade to Uber. However, the breaches outlined in the ruling make me genuinely concerned for my safety. One of the reasons I preferred Uber as a loan female traveller was the assurance that Uber drivers were identifiable and accountable, more so than mini cabs. Now I’m not so sure.
syd

Post by syd »

It’s a shame uber are doing the minimum required rather than offering a premium service. Hopefully this will encourage then to do better. The last time I got a black cab was 2004 and I had to beg the driver to go to Sydenham from Waterloo I was so grateful I gave him. £20 tip. The other driverS didn’t even stop!!
alywin

Post by alywin »

Yeah, wrong side of the river, innit?

I thought they weren't allowed to turn down a fare within a specified distance without good cause, but perhaps Sydenham is outside that distance from central London.
mosy

Post by mosy »

alywin, I think black cabs can refuse fares if they're going home as not obliged to take people if not on their route home. Surprising how many are homeward bound at the mere mention of Sarf London.

Uber is global and is in debt for billions with a hugely inflated share price so they'll be reluctant to accede to commitments to rights and obligations they might have to replicate elsewhere. However, they should be held to the same rules as black cabs and mini cabs are.

It's said that 3.5 million people use Uber every day in London so if Uber fail to win their appeal, the likelihood is that another app-based firm(s) will step in as a market is now established. Even a mayor being TFL boss and whether biased or neutral can't turn back the tide.
syd

Post by syd »

alywin wrote: 25 Nov 2019 21:56 Yeah, wrong side of the river, innit?

I thought they weren't allowed to turn down a fare within a specified distance without good cause, but perhaps Sydenham is outside that distance from central London.
The fact they can turn down fares means it isn’t really public transport
syd

Post by syd »

mosy wrote: 25 Nov 2019 23:40 alywin, I think black cabs can refuse fares if they're going home as not obliged to take people if not on their route home. Surprising how many are homeward bound at the mere mention of Sarf London.
The best th8ng about uber is it doesn’t discriminate.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Or that there are Ubers floating about in south London and other non central areas to begin with. Seemingly Ubers are discriminated against in central London as they are subject to the congestion charge which black cabs are exempt from.

However, I'm sure Uber will succeed in their appeal. No political party wants to add 45K to London's unemployed and maybe more homeless to be reported in their statistics.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote: 26 Nov 2019 14:38 Seemingly Ubers are discriminated against in central London as they are subject to the congestion charge which black cabs are exempt from.

Uber are not being discriminated personally, it's all non-black cabs. So it affects all Mini cabs, Addison, Uber and all the others too.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Having suffered from the same "we don't cross the river, mate" and the perambulating Ubers clogging and polluting central London I use our local minicab (Station Approach edition) if less environmentally hostile transport is not available. So a modest victory imho.

Stuart
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Tbh, I would rarely use a cab to go into London, so the main reason is to come home.
Also, the majority of Uber vehicles are hybrid, which can’t be said for black cabs.

Uber needs to change a few things, but it is defo a thing for good for me, and I would have less in my pocket as a result
stuart

Post by stuart »

Sydenham Syd wrote: 9 Dec 2019 06:32Also, the majority of Uber vehicles are hybrid, which can’t be said for black cabs.
Correct. But all new black cabs are plugin hybrids which ought to make them more environmentally friendly. And having the rank system means they aren't driving round in polluting circles like Ubers waiting for the App call. They are the worst of all worlds imho.
Meanwhile there is always the 176 if you are in central London ... 24/7 and nowt is cheaper bar Shank's Pony.

Stuart