Bell Green Travis Perkins

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Bell Green Travis Perkins

Post by JRW »

Travis Perkins have confirmed that they are the new occupiers of the Bell Green gasholders site. In the next month they will provide an outline plan for pre-consultation with Lewisham Council.

Their branches open at 7am, and deliveries of stock are likely to start even earlier than that. Large lorries and multiple trade vehicles will add to congestion and air pollution.

If you believe that you may be affected by this development, contact your Councillor ASAP, and make your case. The early information allows us to influence Travis Perkins' plans before they are financially fully committed, and convince the council that their residents want action.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Bell Green Travis Perkins

Post by JGD »

It would appear that the overdue completion of the dismantling of the gas holders will leave the site in prime condition. Just in time for the next development.

Now we need to see the reinclusion of benefits lost in the rejection of the last development proposal.

We need off street parking for Livesey patrons at the rear of the hall, SCOOT enhancements to the traffic lights system, the introduction of 24|7 no parking on one side (the hall side) of Perry Hill from the junction of Selworthy to the traffic lights at the Perry Hill junction and improved pedestrian crossing arrangements in that entire section of the retail park.

These combined measures will ease traffic flows to the significant effect that queuing will be reduced or eliminated irrespective of what volumes of traffic exist in the new arrangement.

Is it accurate to state that such a proposal by Travis Perkins will be a close fit to the existing current planning categorisation for uses for which this site can be developed?
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

It is good that business is looking to invest in Sydenham. Lets hope for a positive outcome.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I personally felt that it was fairly obvious that if the gas holders went, a more Industrial / retail style use of the space would follow and traffic would increase.
It is a good spot for a Travis Perkins now that it is being cleared.
So I wouldn’t say I was overly happy, but neither am I at all surprised.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

JRW wrote: 7 Jan 2020 09:45 Their branches open at 7am, and deliveries of stock are likely to start even earlier than that. Large lorries and multiple trade vehicles will add to congestion and air pollution.
Accuracy is all - especially when presented in a balanced fashion.

Typical opening times for T-P depots are these:
Weekdays: 07:00 – 17:00
Saturday: 08:00 – 12:00
Sunday: Closed

So for both days in the weekends there is a greatly reduced traffic flow for a T-P depot than other incumbent retailers, namely Saturday for only half-day opening for four hours and for Sunday - zero. This probably reflects the fact that the T-P business emphasis is focused on "trade" custom and historically that related volume is non-existent on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Planning constraints can be imposed on an applicant to prevent out of hours deliveries. Given that almost every other retailer in the park has out-of-hours delivery schemes in place, the precedent is set and it is therefore unlikely that T-P will have such a condition imposed upon them. This all remains to be seen of course when T-P make their application.

It is a great pity that the SGN office and yard site development proposal inclusive of 160 jobs has not been restored alongside the T-P proposal. T-P will create new jobs certainly - but not on the scale of SGN. A huge numeric and commercially beneficial loss to the local community.

Are we now to witness an unstructured stream of inaccuracies traducing T-P's name along with whoever is their CEO in the buffoonish style we see frequently directed toward SGN, Kier's and LB Lewisham in the most un-warranted of fashions ?
Geordie Dave

Post by Geordie Dave »

As an HGV lorry loader driver currently commuting to Mitcham every day, I’m pleased that TP have made plans :)

Yes you’ll see articulated lorries unloading on a daily basis but I don’t see it as being any different to the other companies already situated on that site.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Geordie Dave wrote: 14 Jan 2020 16:50 As an HGV lorry loader driver currently commuting to Mitcham every day, I’m pleased that TP have made plans :)
In other words less lorry miles, less pollution, less congestion and greater productivity. What's not to like?

Stuart
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Geordie Dave wrote: 14 Jan 2020 16:50 As an HGV lorry loader driver currently commuting to Mitcham every day, I’m pleased that TP have made plans :)

Yes you’ll see articulated lorries unloading on a daily basis but I don’t see it as being any different to the other companies already situated on that site.
There's a Travis Perkins in Forest Hill. It's much closer than Mitcham.
Geordie Dave

Post by Geordie Dave »

So there is!
I had forgotten about that one next to the garden centre
alywin

Post by alywin »

Isn't there one up near Homebase in Penge, too, or am I thinking of somewhere else?
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

This is great news .
Bell Green's 100% record of attracting the lowest common denominator in development ambition is maintained.
:P
Geordie Dave

Post by Geordie Dave »

alywin wrote: 15 Jan 2020 20:07 Isn't there one up near Homebase in Penge, too, or am I thinking of somewhere else?
That’s a Jewson branch