Looking for a reliable tradesperson

Living in Sydenham and looking for a gardener, flat or whatever? Advertise free here
Simphil

Looking for a reliable tradesperson

Post by Simphil »

We have a problem with water damage/damp in the utility room that is situated in the area beneath the communal walkway that leads to the flats above us and we need to get an accesment for the insurers. Does anyone know anyone they would reccomend to make an inspection as we have had bad experiences in the past with tradespeople? We are on Venner Road. Thanks!!
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Looking for a reliable tradesperson

Post by JGD »

It is difficult to assess to what degree your property is in or under the area beneath whatever type of communal walkway is present and whether this means part of your property is in fact below ground level (or not if its an elevated walkway).

Dependant upon what that position is, you may be better served by having a Building Surveyor or Engineer survey the location and submit a report on the condition and include any recommendation on what remedy would be appropriate. Check with the insurance company and if these services are required, the cost should be recoverable over and above the cost of execution of the works, under your policy cover.

Of course if it is not that complex your approach to a reliable builder may be more than adequate.

Sorry I cannot be of much more assistance.
Simphil

Re: Looking for a reliable tradesperson

Post by Simphil »

It is typical 19th century London basement flat which has a flight of steep steps down to the front door from the pavement. The utility room in built into the space beside the steps so I suppose it is under ground. The walkway is above and leads to the door to the flats above. I think the problem is water leaking from the walkway. I don't think i would need a surveyor, just a reliable damp expert.