Here Our Prayer Weekend 12th-14th Sept

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
KateM

Here Our Prayer Weekend 12th-14th Sept

Post by KateM »

Hi all - just wanted to promote an event going on in Sydenham and Forest Hill - so here goes:

Here Our Prayer is an event from Friday 12th Sept to Sunday 14th Sept involving all the churches in Forest Hill and Sydenham getting together to pray for your concerns.
Go to our website http://www.hereourprayer.webeden.co.uk (work in progress!) to find out more and also you can email in your prayer request. We have received prayer requests already so you don't have to wait until the actual weekend.
There are a host of events including a hot air balloon ride, with prayers being said by children from above the area, a monk about town -Brother Hugh will be touring the area, sleeping in churches overnight - and much more.
It's very exciting. Please come to one or more of the events, or just add your prayers.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I wish the event well.
There have been a number of very intolerant postings about thios event on se23.com. I hope the SE26 posters atr more tolerant.
KateM

Post by KateM »

thanks!
it has caused controversy as you say on se23.com
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

what, may I ask, has the controversy been about?

I must say that I'm a regular at a church in sydenham and I've not heard about this... but then again I just might not be very observant.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bensonby wrote:what, may I ask, has the controversy been about?
This is the topic: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1019

Admin
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

admin wrote:
bensonby wrote:what, may I ask, has the controversy been about?
This is the topic: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1019

Admin
Blimey! That's a lot of people getting hot under the collar
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I can not believe some of the intolerance .Against any other religion they would probably be charged by the Police.
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

It's quite shocking that the "usual suspects" can hijack the thread and turn it into an aggressive religious debate.

Who's monitoring it?

Surely you would cut and paste it into the Town Pub at certain point, wouldn't you, admin? :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

georgemichael wrote:Surely you would cut and paste it into the Town Pub at certain point, wouldn't you, admin?
General discussion on religion = Town Pub (or maybe a new Town Temple?)
Discussion on efficacy of this event = Town Cafe

Reading the topic as a moderator I was surprised at it being described as 'very intolerant'. It might be passionate but the only parts that IMHO could be described as intolerant were:

* Banning Scientoligist stalls in Bromley
* Banning criticism of the event

I interpret tolerance as allowing discussion/practice of which you disapprove. Expressing disapproval is not intolerance. However if you disapprove of my moderation stance - then please take that discussion to Town Asylum.

Divide & Rule :wink:

Admin
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Here here Admin, totally agree. Disgreement does not equal intolerance.

For Eagle who said "Against any other religion they would probably be charged by the Police."... can you really tell me that if someone advertised a modern witchcraft (for example) event on here they would get a "oh that's nice" response from churchgoers???

We are lucky enough to live in a society where we can debate subjects such as religion. I say just sit back and wait for everyone to get it all out of their system :wink:
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I've no problem with these kind of events but just accept some people hold different views just as valid as yours.

I did find it a bit creepy a few weeks ago on the high street the table with a couple of kids asking me if they could pray for me, do they need our permission these days? I don't go around trying to talk people out of believing in their religion why do people think they have the right to talk me into believing theirs? I respect peoples right to believe what ever they want.

Now if they orgainsed something like this.... :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3CzptgIvcU
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

hahahah i find this all very amusing!
KateM

Post by KateM »

Just to say the website has now got a full list of events now and contact details for the churches involved if you want to find out more. I'm not sure there will be anything like the link above on offer - but you never know!!
www.hereourprayer.webeden.co.uk
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

At least the weather's good for the hot air balloon this afternoon - Good Luck.

Spotted the "Monk about Town" yesterday on the South Circular, but I was doing 30mph so couldn't stop!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
Thankyou,
I have submitted a prayer for my dear sister who needs all the help she can get at the moment.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Sorry Mummycat, I didn't understand your post, does that mean you hit him?

(...sorry couldn't resist...)

Cx
boon

Re: Here Our Prayer Weekend 12th-14th Sept

Post by boon »

Sounds interesting. We've had missionaries ringing our bell all day; 3 times so far. Any connection? Strangely, they've all had American accents as well.
KateM

Post by KateM »

The weekend is over- however, there is one last event on Wednesday regarding Jewish prayer (please see the website for details). If any of you did manage to get to any events please let us know what you thought of them. We have a feedback form on the website www.hereourprayer.webeden.co.uk
The prayer form is also still on the website if you have any prayer requests.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

my sister went up in the balloon - they only managed about 3 metres-ish but it looked fun...
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I was going to ask how it all went.

Here my prayer didnt work for me, United gettting beat by United reaffirmed my doubts that there is any higher force listening to us.