The 8pm NHS celebration

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

The 8pm NHS celebration

Post by stuart »

Good to hear its getting louder every week in our street. I'm in the doghouse for breaking a spatula! How was it in your street?

Stuart
The Clown

Re: The 8pm NHS celebration

Post by The Clown »

Good - just need to stop making an appearance in my jimjams, I’m going to get a reputation!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stuart wrote: 16 Apr 2020 19:08 Good to hear its getting louder every week in our street. I'm in the doghouse for breaking a spatula! How was it in your street?

Stuart
Take my advice - use a bodhrán

with a wood honey dipper stick
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Love the bodhrán Tim.

Stuart you are our second friend in the doghouse for the same reason - it must be happening the nation o'er.

Funniest and possibly one of the warmest tributes to the NHS and frontline teams is the Tweet about the Woolwich Ferry from a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1250865889181929475

I've been saying to friends, the pilot needs to take some water with it !
syd

Post by syd »

I clapped for the last time this week.

I saw the idiots on Westminster bridge and I want no part of this. People will die in May due to their selfishness and the emergency services including the police taking part is unforgivable.

I really don’t get it
stuart

Post by stuart »

People from the NHS have told me how very much they appreciate this. It's now been more than a month of hell for them. Hardened paramedics have been reduced to tears.

Football fans will know the value of a home crowd willing their team on. It's an honour for me to be part of keeping up the spirits of people putting themselves in harm's way for folks like us.

It's also a pleasure to have seen more neighbours in the last 4 weeks than I've seen in the last 4 years. All behaving with most responsibility. Is your street any different?

Boycotting on the basis of an incident that happened miles away from Sydenham seems strange. Please reconsider.

Stuart
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 25 Apr 2020 16:55 People from the NHS have told me how very much they appreciate this. It's now been more than a month of hell for them. Hardened paramedics have been reduced to tears.

Football fans will know the value of a home crowd willing their team on. It's an honour for me to be part of keeping up the spirits of people putting themselves in harm's way for folks like us.

It's also a pleasure to have seen more neighbours in the last 4 weeks than I've seen in the last 4 years. All behaving with most responsibility. Is your street any different?

Boycotting on the basis of an incident that happened miles away from Sydenham seems strange. Please reconsider.

Stuart
Hi Stuart, I’ve reconsidered and I will continue to clap, thanks for your message. My neighbours are noisy af some have fireworks! It does feel like we are all on the same page for the first time in ages. The B word spilt us if anything goods comes from this I hope it’s a feeling that we are working together to do the best for everyone.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Fireworks? Goodness me - up here it's an opportunity to flaunt your Le Creuset and silver spoon collection.

Stuart :)
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Last Thursday my wife and I were at our front gate on Sydenham Road, banging our pan lids, when a car drew up near us. The young woman inside held up her NHS badge, said "Thank you, we appreciate it", and then resumed her journey.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 26 Apr 2020 11:28 Fireworks? Goodness me - up here it's an opportunity to flaunt your Le Creuset and silver spoon collection.

Stuart :)
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by syd on 26 Apr 2020 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
syd

Post by syd »

chrisj1948 wrote: 26 Apr 2020 11:37 Last Thursday my wife and I were at our front gate on Sydenham Road, banging our pan lids, when a car drew up near us. The young woman inside held up her NHS badge, said "Thank you, we appreciate it", and then resumed her journey.
Perfect, I’m looking forward to clapping next week :D
Parkrunner

Post by Parkrunner »

Over the successive weeks of the celebration, we have broken one saucepan lid (Ikea, not Lecreuset), two wooden spoons, then the remaining fragments of the wooden spoons when they were re-used the following week. Thankfully Amazon is still delivering wooden spoons!
cidersioux

Post by cidersioux »

I have taken to using my Tambourine on Sydenham Park Rd and really look forward to Thursday Eves as stuck indoors on my own so look forward to the chats from my neighbours xx
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

My wife Mary and I have been out on the High Street each Thursday evening to bang saucepan lids. Last week we noticed that the response was more muted. Far fewer cars sounded their horns and waved. The movement may be running down.
syd

Post by syd »

chrisj1948 wrote: 25 May 2020 06:28 My wife Mary and I have been out on the High Street each Thursday evening to bang saucepan lids. Last week we noticed that the response was more muted. Far fewer cars sounded their horns and waved. The movement may be running down.
The week before last I head bin lids being banged and it was more like a riot. I did clap last week but in my doorway. I guess I’m not alone
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think this Thursday’s clap may be the last one. I am sure I read it somewhere. We should make it count if it is the last one!
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

sophie wrote: 26 May 2020 18:03 I think this Thursday’s clap may be the last one. I am sure I read it somewhere. We should make it count if it is the last one!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... the-ritual
syd

Post by syd »

vbsydenham wrote: 27 May 2020 08:56
sophie wrote: 26 May 2020 18:03 I think this Thursday’s clap may be the last one. I am sure I read it somewhere. We should make it count if it is the last one!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... the-ritual
As it’s the last one I shall perhaps bring my wok and ladle :D
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'm not really aware of it having become "politicised", whatever that may mean in the context, but have been thinking for some weeks that we would need an exit strategy for getting out of it.
mosy

Post by mosy »

It was almost quiet here last week so maybe it is/was petering out now that people don't feel they're locked in, or are choosing not be, any more, rightly or wrongly.