Jays Opticians

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nickerbockers

Jays Opticians

Post by Nickerbockers »

Can I just highly recommend Jays Opticians in Sydenham Road for anyone wanting an eye test. They were SO friendly, and the Optician I saw was absolutely lovely, really put me at my ease and was so sweet.

Nice and local, and really good customer service - sadly you can't say that about many places these days, not too expensive either! :D
simon

Post by simon »

Have to agree; great local company. I needed reading glasses four years ago and they were very helpful and gave me decent priced options. repairs adn replacements are always reasonable and you dont feel any pressure to spend a lot.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Completely disagree. We used to use Jays but the optician was rather abrupt in his manner, although the receptionists were very nice.

The worst and last time was when my wife lost her contact lenses on holiday and had to try to get lenses at a local optician. They phoned up and Jays refused to help with the prescription. The holiday optician informed us that Jays had said: 'Don't bother with her, she gets lenses on the internet.'
Well yes she did sometimes, but she paid for lenses every six months at a check-up.

We now go to the genuinely friendly Woodfall - and buy lenses there - as we feel they appreciate our custom.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Can't comment on Jays, but I and some of my work colleagues have been using Woodfalls for getting on 30 years, and I/we have nothing but praise for them.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Oh dear Castiron73 - I did see a female Optician though who was lovely, and I didn't need a prescription - praps my experience would've been very different if I had done!?
kermie

Post by kermie »

I’ve used Jay’s for both glasses and later contact lenses for almost 20years now and have never experienced anything but excellent service and friendly staff. I’ve recommended friends and family all of which have complimented them and we all continue to use them! :D
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

would have to agree with castiron73. The receptionist was very nice and pleasant as was the tall old guy. But the older fella that runs the show was so patronising, spoke to me like I was a kid even theough I'm over 30!

And their glasses were very dated, guess aimed at the pensioner/older market.

So annoyed I walked out. Went to the other one across the road near LLoyds and found them brilliant.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I have not been to Jay's, but I feel the need to agree with with Castiron73 about Woodfalls. I had the frame break on a pair of sunglasses (which I didn't buy there) and took them in to see if they were under warranty. They called the distributer and found out they are no longer being sold and that if I had the receipt I could swap them. No receipt available so rather than recommend a new pair, they set it to their "technician" and they reslodered the frame and they are good as new for £15. As opposed for the £££ of a new pair.

And a side note, the owner of Woodfalls is extremely active in the development of The Town Centre.