Flu-Jabs @ Sydenham Green now Covid test compatible

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Flu-Jabs @ Sydenham Green now Covid test compatible

Post by stuart »

Great news. My partner and I both received texts from Sydenham Green practice inviting us to telephone and book a flu-jab. This afternoon I went on a splendid 45 minute tour of their telephone answering service. It was wonderful to hear every ten seconds how very important we were to them. After 25 minutes I had reached 11th in the queue. Then 20 minutes later the music stopped. We all sat down.

The anticipation of the next step was almost unbearable. We had both got our diaries at the ready:

"Hi, I've called to book a flu-jab for my partner and myself"
"Sorry no bookings are available - "

I was invited to repeat this incredible exercise on Monday when they may release more appointments. I can hardly wait to set aside another hour of my time. Still it's good training for trying to get a Covid-19 test in London I hear. At least you can discover that instantly online. The Sydenham Green Practice website was giving a 403 forbidden on almost every link. And when you returned to the homepage you got yet another set of cookies to collect.

How sweet.

Stuart
chrisj1948

Re: Flu-Jabs @ Sydenham Green now Covid test compatible

Post by chrisj1948 »

I am afraid I book with 'another provider' for flu jabs. Boots is just across the road and much more convenient.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Sydenham Green is a total abomination frankly. It’s always been like that. Ring up in the morning for an appointment, stay on hold, get met with a terse tone from receptionist saying no appointments. We’ve been registered with it for about 12 years, and it’s always been dreadful.
It’s consistent, that’s for sure.
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

Your local pharmacy will give free flu jabs if you’re eligible and paid ones for those who aren’t. Will save a lot of aggro on phones.
simon

Post by simon »

I have to disagree with Syd about Sydenham green morning phone appointments. I've rang a few times around 8.00 am and while I may have been on the phone for 10 minutes or so, I've always managed to get a same day appointment when needed.
I think this year that the practice has probably been overwhelmed with demand for flu jabs. If eligible for free ones, I would suggest using Superdrug or Boots and alleviating the pressure on Sydenham Green.
I've used Sydenham Green for nearly 30 years and have found it outstanding. The care provided to myself and my wife, who was very ill for two years, has been far beyond what I would usually expect and has been delivered with compassion and kindness.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

stuart wrote: 10 Sep 2020 16:30 Then 20 minutes later the music stopped. We all sat down.
I had no idea that our NHS offered free online games too.

Our game of musical chairs at our surgery never got off the ground. Straight through, slots available less than 12 (number corrected) hours later - and hey presto - all booked. And able to view the confirmations online via Patient Access - we might even have been able to make the appointments using that app too.

Try registering - it often opens the door to making all forms of appointments for surgery services online.
alywin

Post by alywin »

That's nothing. A few days ago, I think the Lewisham phlebotomy services must have combined their booking services, because when I rang the number to book a blood test at Sydenham Green I got a message referring me to a new number. I dialled that one, to be told I was 125th in the queue. I was working, so being on hold for ages wasn't really a good idea. Tried again: 125th in queue. Decided that must be the maximum possible number. Held on until the mid-50s, when I got cut off. Restarted: 98th or something. Got cut off around the 50s again. Tried again late in the afternoon, and eventually realised that I'd been stuck in the late 40s for ages, so guessed they must have gone home for the evening.

Tried again this morning: 145th in the queue ...

I hope they get this sorted out soon. It may only be teething troubles, but what if your need is urgent? I was very relieved to find that my provider had switched my phone tariff to unlimited calls, because I could see myself very easily getting through the 500 minutes a month (used to be ample) which I used to have. I must have spent 3+ hours on the phone on Thursday alone.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

In all seriousness - it is regrettable that services appear to have deteriorated to such an appallingly bad level.

The Green is our goto local place for phlebotomy services and all through lock-down and up until approximately 10 days ago appointments were readily available and phone queues were minimal for a whole series of needed tests. We learned quickly not to make calls over lunchtime.

If this deterioration is down to factors such as "the computer says no" - ditch the new system and restore the model that was working reasonably well before.
stuart

Post by stuart »

It gets even better. Just received a letter to say their next clinics were earlier this week. No, it wasn't signed by Doctor Who

Stuart :D
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We (both over 65s) got ours this morning from Wells Park Practice. Invited by text message to walk-in session, dedicated to people the initial letter of whose surname fell into a certain range. Waited for less than 5 minutes.
RubyE

Post by RubyE »

I phoned Sydenham Green this morning for an appointment, about 8:05. I started off at 17th in the queue but after 10-15 minutes I was through to reception. Within 5 minutes I had an appointment for this morning. In my opinion, this is a better service than it was before when I would spend long time in the queue only to discover all the appointments had gone. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff in handling my needs during, what I can only imagine, is a difficult time for them.

I was expecting the worse after reading this thread and was worried that I wouldn't be able speak to a doctor when I needed to (I have an ongoing medical condition). So please don't let this put anyone off from contacting SG surgery.
JGD

Post by JGD »

An update on testing within the borough. It appeared on the Lewisham site last week, hence one of the dates has passed.
Testing in Lewisham

If you need a test in Lewisham, you can book an appointment to visit the drive-in or walk-in mobile testing unit or order a home testing kit.

Mobile testing unit

The mobile testing unit is available every three days at Lewisham Lorry Parks, Catford, London, SE6 2TX (adjacent to Laurence House) open at 10.00.

A mobile testing unit will be in Lewisham on the following dates:
  • Friday 11 September
  • Monday 14 September
  • Thursday 17 September
  • Sunday 20 September
  • Wednesday 23 September
Local testing unit

From this week, walk through testing will be available at Vanguard car park in Deptford, offering appointments to people without cars who can safely travel on foot, without coming into contact with others.

It will be fully operational from Friday 11 September offering tests from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

When to ask for a test

If you have COVID-19 symptoms, you should book a test immediately.

You need to take the test in the first five days of having symptoms. On days 1 to 4, you can get tested at a test site or at home. On day 5, you will need to go to a test site as it will be too late to order a home test kit.
https://lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/coro ... s-covid-19

Hearing anecdotally that slots for tests may be being rationed once more and evidence may be asked for about whether "essential worker" status applies or if you have been referred for the test by, amongst others, an employer. What criteria or rational applies to a self-referral vs an employer-referral is unclear it seems.

Some local residents are being offered appointments on the south coast too.

It is NOT clear if rationing is happening because of the test slots being fully taken up or if the backlog of the tests being delayed at processing stage is causing a bottle-neck.
To book a test on line use this link:

https://self-referral.test-for-coronavi ... tigen/name
Get help applying

If no tests are available online, do not call helplines to get a test. No extra tests are available through the helplines.

If you have other problems using the online service, call:

119 if you’re in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
0300 303 2713 if you’re in Scotland
Lines are open 7am to 11pm.
stuart

Post by stuart »

RubyE wrote: 14 Sep 2020 11:44 I phoned Sydenham Green this morning for an appointment, about 8:05. I started off at 17th in the queue but after 10-15 minutes I was through to reception. Within 5 minutes I had an appointment for this morning. In my opinion, this is a better service than it was before when I would spend long time in the queue only to discover all the appointments had gone. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff in handling my needs during, what I can only imagine, is a difficult time for them.

I was expecting the worse after reading this thread and was worried that I wouldn't be able speak to a doctor when I needed to (I have an ongoing medical condition). So please don't let this put anyone off from contacting SG surgery.
To be fair my better half phoned at 11:45, had a much shorter wait and we are both booked for later today. I note she was answered by a guy to whom I am indebted in the past for quickly and efficiently sorting out stuff the others couldn't.

We'll put Friday down to a bad hair day.

Stuart
simon

Post by simon »

Alwyn, I didn't realise the queue was 125 long! Whenever I've called its been below 10, but that was before Covid.
alywin

Post by alywin »

RubyE wrote: 14 Sep 2020 11:44 I phoned Sydenham Green this morning for an appointment, about 8:05. I started off at 17th in the queue but after 10-15 minutes I was through to reception. Within 5 minutes I had an appointment for this morning.
Yes, but was that for a blood test, or just for a GP appointment?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Well this is just getting ridiculous now. I had the letter from the SGGP informing me that I should ring for an appointment to have the flu vaccine. The two dates offered for the clinic were ones I could not make as I was away. I phoned last week to be told the practice had 'run out' of vaccine and that to ring on Monday for an appointment when there would be more vaccine.

I duly rang today. At first I was 15th in the queue, however having reassured me that my call was 'extremely important' to them I held on. After 30 minutes - success! However they could not give me an appointment. They had the vaccine now (I asked) but could not give me an appointment nor could they give me any idea of when I could get an appointment! I was advised that the local pharmacies were also doing the vaccines. I already knew this as I had phoned some but they had also run out. The Touchwood pharmacy in Sydenham were very good - took a note of my name and phone no. and promised they would call me once they had the vaccine in. This was more like the service I should have been getting from my GP surgery. I wanted to keep my options open which is why I also phoned the SGGP. They are not seeing patients face to face which I can understand given the pandemic, even though the Government have told surgeries that they should now be doing so. They are doing phone call appointments which I think is sensible in the current circumstances, but I worry that far more life threatening diseases, etc are not being picked up. as has been mooted in the media for many weeks now.

So I am now left to ring back when I think they will have appointments for the vaccine (she was unable to inform me when that would be, so I just have to take pot luck) helpful eh? If they are not taking face to face appointments, their everyday mantra is don't come in on spec as you will not be seen, then just what are they doing? Given they seem to have a plethora of staff (and even then cannot answer the phone for at least half an hour of hanging on) it does rather beg the question, just what are they doing? What a way to run a customer facing service!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

gillyjp wrote: 28 Sep 2020 14:07 Well this is just getting ridiculous now. I had the letter from the SGGP informing me that I should ring for an appointment to have the flu vaccine. The two dates offered for the clinic were ones I could not make as I was away. I phoned last week to be told the practice had 'run out' of vaccine and that to ring on Monday for an appointment when there would be more vaccine.

I duly rang today. At first I was 15th in the queue, however having reassured me that my call was 'extremely important' to them I held on. After 30 minutes - success! However they could not give me an appointment. They had the vaccine now (I asked) but could not give me an appointment nor could they give me any idea of when I could get an appointment! I was advised that the local pharmacies were also doing the vaccines. I already knew this as I had phoned some but they had also run out. The Touchwood pharmacy in Sydenham were very good - took a note of my name and phone no. and promised they would call me once they had the vaccine in. This was more like the service I should have been getting from my GP surgery. I wanted to keep my options open which is why I also phoned the SGGP. They are not seeing patients face to face which I can understand given the pandemic, even though the Government have told surgeries that they should now be doing so. They are doing phone call appointments which I think is sensible in the current circumstances, but I worry that far more life threatening diseases, etc are not being picked up. as has been mooted in the media for many weeks now.

So I am now left to ring back when I think they will have appointments for the vaccine (she was unable to inform me when that would be, so I just have to take pot luck) helpful eh? If they are not taking face to face appointments, their everyday mantra is don't come in on spec as you will not be seen, then just what are they doing? Given they seem to have a plethora of staff (and even then cannot answer the phone for at least half an hour of hanging on) it does rather beg the question, just what are they doing? What a way to run a customer facing service!
If it helps, Torchwood Pharmacy opposite the Greyhound pub have signs in the window saying they are available for flu jabs....
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

OH and I are getting ours on Saturday at the Lloyds Pharmacy in Sainsburys. Booked online. They had a plethora of appointments available from Friday onwards.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Thanks Parker1970. Funnily enough I saw that sign when I went down the high street earlier and popped in. Lovely lady said they did the last one this morning and have now run out and wasn't able to say when they would get the next batch. They had plenty of the under 65 yrs vulnerable (My husband will need that - various underlying health issues). I can pop in everyso often or phone to see if they have had a consignment.

Thanks Rachael - I will try Lloyds in Sainsburys but I do seem to be somewhat on the back foot with this!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

gillyjp wrote: 28 Sep 2020 15:52 Thanks Parker1970. Funnily enough I saw that sign when I went down the high street earlier and popped in. Lovely lady said they did the last one this morning and have now run out and wasn't able to say when they would get the next batch. They had plenty of the under 65 yrs vulnerable (My husband will need that - various underlying health issues). I can pop in everyso often or phone to see if they have had a consignment.

Thanks Rachael - I will try Lloyds in Sainsburys but I do seem to be somewhat on the back foot with this!
Sorry to hear that :(

Lets hope they sort the stocks out soon.. they are supposed to be extending it to 50+ years old.. if we don't have enough for the 65+ and vulnerable then there seems little purpose in extending it.

Hope you find a solution!