5G rollout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: 5G rollout

Post by stuart »

5g is about far more than phones. It will provide a third speedy alternative to Virgin cable or Openreach lines for domestic or business Internet. Also provide the capacity for the expected explosion of the Internet of Things (IoT) in tomorrow's world.

The very high frequencies used are great for speed but bad at penetrating walls - hence a dense network of transmitters is required.

Stuart
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

The BBC web-site reports today that Nokia has made a deal with BT to phase out Huawei's kit on BT-owned EE's 5G network.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54337759
Nokia is set to become a major beneficiary of Huawei being blocked from the UK's 5G networks.

The Finnish telecoms firm has struck a deal to become the largest equipment provider to BT.

Nokia will now provide additional base stations and antennas to let EE customers' devices make calls and transmit data via the UK firm's 5G "radio access network".

The deal will also see Nokia replace Huawei in BT's 2G and 4G networks.

EE's network already uses Nokia to provide its 3G service.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Apologies for posting in quick succession.
stuart wrote: 29 Sep 2020 07:15 5g is about far more than phones. It will provide a third speedy alternative to Virgin cable or Openreach lines for domestic or business Internet. Also provide the capacity for the expected explosion of the Internet of Things (IoT) in tomorrow's world.

The very high frequencies used are great for speed but bad at penetrating walls - hence a dense network of transmitters is required.

Stuart
This begs a very important question. What will be the best broadband transmission infrastructure for the future - fibre optic cable or 5G, plus whatever its future successors become capable of delivering?

For those of us served by the Forest Hill exchange, it was selected as one of the first handful of pilot schemes in a national roll-out.

The architecture that BT/Openreach selected first was "Fibre-to-the-Cabinet" (FTTC) which meant that fibre optic cable was installed from the exchange to the green cabinets with which we are familiar and are distributed around our streets. This delivered high-speed reliable signals to these green boxes and the remainder of the connections made to premises simply re-used the existing cable infrastructure which was present and linked to the premises and in the main was copper wiring. This delivered significant improvement to speeds and throughputs for customers.

Part-way through the pilot scheme BT/Openreach altered their choice of architecture and commenced installing "Fibre-to-the Premises" (FTTP), which as the title infers, fibre optic cables were installed and passed every property in the designated area. The final few metres into each property were made from splicing devices in manholes outside the premises and a length of fibre optic cable connection was made all the way to a device in the property.

Progressively BT/Openreach have ramped up the levels of speed and throughput being offered on the FTTP connections and recently they offered me an upgrade to 510Mbps speed (and dropped my monthly charges by £8 pm). A 900Mbps offer is available for under £60 pm.

For FTTC customers the speed and throughput offer is not as high as it is for FTTP.

Here is the rub - we do not yet have a 5G cell that covers my geography - but the existing 4G cell is delivering 90-100 Mbps speeds at my home. This cell coverage I know is not consistent across SE6 and SE23 postcodes.

This speed I think already outstrips FTTC performance - and 5G has yet to be commissioned with the possibility of even better performance levels being delivered.

So as per my opener - will 5G be the transmission medium of choice for the future - either by a de-facto outcome from BT's early choice of FTTC - and the possibility that 5G and its successors will be technically superior and deliver performances that consumers will see as essential in the future?