1.15 AM: tree felling or "boy" racers?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

1.15 AM: tree felling or "boy" racers?

Post by alywin »

Perhaps someone in the vicinity of, I'm guessing, Lawrie Park Road could identify the source of the noise? Sounds as though it could be tree felling around the railway, but I don't think National Rail usually do it at such antisocial hours, so I'm guessing it's probably someone deciding to use the roads as a racetrack? If the latter, anyone living anywhere near it has my deep sympathies.
Parker1970

Re: 1.15 AM: tree felling or "boy" racers?

Post by Parker1970 »

alywin wrote: 18 Nov 2020 01:31 Sounds as though it could be tree felling around the railway, but I don't think National Rail usually do it at such antisocial hours,
Actually they do, but as I live very close to the station, we always get letters put through our mailbox "Dear Railway Neighbour" letting us know of it but no such letters recently and in the past it has always been on the weekend, so I would go with your latter suggestion that it was boy racers... again.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I was mystified to get one about treefelling on the Penge East line a year or two ago. It seems they are sent out by distance computed from the line. Except it apparently didn't take into account it's in a tunnel for this stretch!

Stuart
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Is this a cue for the tree-fellers' joke.

The punchline is:

We can't go for it- there's only two of us.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

JGD wrote: 18 Nov 2020 20:35 Is this a cue for the tree-fellers' joke.

The punchline is:

We can't go for it- there's only two of us.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Thank you Parker1970.

To remember all the jokes over the years is hard work - and to earn a "double" is a real achievement. :D :D :D
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Could someone tell me what the rest of the joke is, please? By PM if it's too rude to share publicly. I've googled the punchline, but without success.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Ok Robin

Mick and Pat have emigrated to Canada and are looking for work.

They are out in the backwoods and stroll past a sign that says "Tree-fellers Wanted".

Mick turns to Pat and says:

"There's a great pity.

We can't go for it - there's only two of us "
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Oh my sides.
JGD

Post by JGD »

I did put up Parker1970's commentary by way of half an advanced warning that it was worth the double!

I have another tree-feller joke - but I won't tell it now.

I'll save it for later.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

It's nice to have something to look forward to.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Is that the music for "Curb Your Enthusiasm" I can hear playing in the background?