Tannsfeld Road ambulance Bay

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Tannsfeld Road ambulance Bay

Post by simon »

The ambulance bay on Tannsfeld Road was used by the mini buses that bought clients to the Narborhood Centre. Since the conversion of the Narborhood Centre to the Sydenham Centre and its change of use, cars have been able to park in the bay with impunity. However, I have recently seen two cases of parking tickets issued there.
Since the change of use to the Sydenham Centre, I have never seen an ambulance parked there. Wouldn’t it make sense to change it to three 40 minute free parking spaces, like all the others on the high street, indeed like the spaces on the other side of the road? Or do Lewisham now view it as a cash cow?
Does anyone know the process for this to happen?
Parker1970

Re: Tannsfeld Road ambulance Bay

Post by Parker1970 »

I always wondered about that space. I park on Tannsfeld road when I pick up my chinese from Golden City and it's never had an ambulance in it, but I still don't park in it... now I know why I have not seen an ambulance in it lol.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

I don't think there is a case for any more free unrestricted car parking anywhere in the borough. But maybe this space could be repurposed as a disabled parking bay or used to widen the pavement and improve the public realm?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Jan 2021 13:34 But maybe this space could be repurposed as a disabled parking bay
I like the idea of this.
simon

Post by simon »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Jan 2021 13:34 I don't think there is a case for any more free unrestricted car parking anywhere in the borough.
I think the traders on Sydenham Road would make a case.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

simon wrote: 26 Jan 2021 18:42 I think the traders on Sydenham Road would make a case.
Traders always grossly overestimate the contribution to their businesses from people arriving by car, and overstate the costs of removing or restricting parking.

eg: https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/policy ... gh-streets
simon

Post by simon »

That's as maybe VB, but the fact that people park there because all other spaces are full suggests that there is demand for short term free parking around the high street.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Indeed - The question for planners is whether to attempt to satisfy that demand - which tends to just lead to more and more demand - or supress it with other measures like better public transport and walking and cycling links. Going by your borough's record, my money is on the former approach sadly.