Danger of e-scooters

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Danger of e-scooters

Post by El Cid »

E-scooters have become a real danger in Sydenham. This afternoon I saw a guy on one shoot out from the path between Sainsbury’s and The Greyhound and, without looking, fly straight across the road, forcing a car coming up from the direction of the station to slam on the breaks. Had the driver being going five miles an hour faster he would have hit the e-scooter.

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to ride an e-scooter on both the road and pavement. Yet I see scenes like the one I witnessed today on an almost daily basis. I’ve nearly been hit on three occasions. I am now constantly looking over when I’m walking around Sydenham. It doesn’t feel safe.
Parker1970

Re: Danger of e-scooters

Post by Parker1970 »

El Cid wrote: 28 Jan 2021 16:16

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to ride an e-scooter on both the road and pavement. Yet I see scenes like the one I witnessed today on an almost daily basis. I’ve nearly been hit on three occasions. I am now constantly looking over when I’m walking around Sydenham. It doesn’t feel safe.
I believe you are right on the legality there Stuart.

Two weeks ago I was driving back from Streatham after taking mum for her safe weekly shop, although it was only 6PM the fog had come down very heavily, so much so that for the very first time since I have had my car, I put fog lights on. Coming up the hill from Gypsy hill to Crystal Palace very suddenly I noticed a person on an E-Scooter on the road, dressed all in black, 3/4 length black quilted coat with hood up, not a jot of reflective clothing or lighting, I literally noticed him when I was maybe 5-10 seconds from them. Luckily I was already driving slower than is required and carefully as the fog was so thick, but anyone could have been forgiven for not seeing him and the worst could have happened.

They need to come off the roads and pavements. Sooner rather than later.

I suspect we are seeing more of them as they are a somewhat more covid safe alternative to buses and taxis but they are in their own right a safety hazard in my opinion. If they went over a pothole, they would no doubt fall into the path of moving cars...
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

Following on from my original post, I was walking across the railway bridge in the high street this evening when suddenly two teenagers on e-scooters came flying at speed towards me and the mother and toddler I was walking behind. Either of us could have been hit. Then as I neared The Greyhound, a third e-scooter whizzed past me on the pavement. This is getting really serious. These things can reach a speed of 15 mph or more. How long before someone is seriously injured?

Does anyone know how I can contact the Sydenham Neighbourhood Safety Team? I've looked for details, but can't find any. It has a Twitter account, but it says it's not for reporting crime.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Can you try the Nextdoor app? Bromley Police are always posting things on my Sydenham neighbourhood. I haven't registered whether Sydenham do the same.