Planning Watch

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Planning Watch

Post by admin »

Two significant applications:

Registration Date: 12 / 09 / 2008
Ward Name: Sydenham
Proposal: The demolition of the workshop in the yard to the rear of 28a Sydenham Road SE26 and the construction of a two storey plus roof space building comprising 6 one bedroom self contained flats, together with the installation of 2 new windows at first and second floor levels in the side elevation of 28a Sydenham Road.
More here: http://tinyurl.com/4wuwno

Registration Date: 26 / 08 / 2008
Ward Name: Sydenham
Proposal: The demoliton of the existing building on the site of 23 Longton Avenue SE26, and construction of a three storey building, plus basement and roof space, to provide 3, one bedroom self-contained flat and 4, two bedroom self-contained flats, together with associated landscaping and provision of a bin storage area, 7 cycle spaces and 4 car parking spaces.
More here: http://tinyurl.com/3nxnam

Planning Watch will be a new feature of the refreshed website coming along shortly ...

Admin
poppy

planning

Post by poppy »

Does anyone know if the first application involves that strange building at the top of Homecroft, I think it looks like a very old warehouse or something?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm pretty sure its the old garage/workshop building at the top of Newlands park, behind the Lloyds bank/opposite the HSBC Poppy. The plans look alright, if they use the correct materials. The current building is unstable, although I did enquire about it when I was looking to move here last year to see if it was possible to convert it to residential.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am confused.
Top of Newlands Park is not the bank of Lloyds TSB ( now inc HBOS ), That is top of good old Venner Road .

Please clarify
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

The newlands property is the one behind the small off license at the light and between Homecroft. Opposite and back a bit from the ladbrokes.

While I would like to see it used, 10 flats is ridiculous in that space.

BTW, anyone interested in going halfsies or 25% on the sorting office???

PM me... Serious interest / investors only...

:D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Scott I agree 10 flats in that small place. This is already a very densely peopled area.
Used to be a second hand furniture dealer I believe. As you say behind offie formally known as West's
This is typical of modern planning applications. Fit as many as possible in a small area no matter that the infrastructure cannot cope ( roads , rail and utilities ).
Good luck objecting to it but surely in todays depressed market will not be built for some time
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Doesn't the plan refer to six flats rather than ten, in a two storey (plus roof) building? Doesn't seem too excessive to me, and of course more people living in/ adjacent to the high street means more customers.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thomas
You are correct and many apologies, not sure where I picked up 10.
I know 6 in itself not many but problem that the area id rife with planning applications that always provide MORE living space. How many more do you want crammed into SE 26.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Apologies for the 10 comment, I added the four 2 bedroom flats from longton to the six, 1 bed flats for this development. :oops:

There is no need to object as the permission has already been refused. The reasons range from
The design of the proposal, by reason of its bulk, siting and mass and being adjacent to a prominent corner location, would fail to compliment the main building at 28a Sydenham Road or the Sydenham Thorpes Conservation Area, and as such would be contrary to Policies URB 3 Urban Design, URB 16 New Development, Changes of Use and Alterations to Buildings in Conservation Areas in the adopted Unitary Development Plan (July 2004).
to
The proposal provides for a poor standard of living accommodation for the 2 one bedroom units within the roof space/third storey in terms of room sizes and layout which is contrary to Policy HSG 4 Residential Amenity in the adopted Unitary Development Plan (July 2004) and Chapter 3 in the Residential Development Standards: Supplementary Planning Document (August 2006).
Stack'em in 1 bed flats are not what is needed IMHO.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree Scott.

I asked estate agents what people wanted and they all said 2 bed flats with storage, outside space if possible, somewhere to have a table to eat and under t250,00if possible. Period conversions are worth more than new builds.

They also said that NO developers EVER seem to ask them what people want t buy.

When I was looking around I saw a few pretty terrible conversions. Why can't developers find out what people want first? Sticking more 1 bed flats for bigger profits in a property instead of smaller profits and well designed 2 bed flats is in my opinion, a mistake.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is just like the disaster of Forest Hill Central where Berkley Homes say only demand for 1 bedroom flats which is rubbish
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Hi, i wonder if anyone has any advise for me.

A nearby property is being extended and renovated, it is next door but one to me. I was not consulted in the planning process, despite being the nearest residential neighbour. I have not seen the plans but can see that the building will be 2 stories at least and has windows that look directly on to my kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. My bathroom window is not frosted. I was not previously overlooked by any properties.

The building work has caused me a complete lack of privacy from all of my rooms as the scaffolding is at the same height as my flat now, giving the work men an uninterupted view into my flat (every room). I have consequently had my curtains and blinds closed for the past 6 months.

I have spoken to Lewisham council who told me that as the planning application has been approved i cannot do much to change it. However the Planning dept did not consult with me, have i any way of influencing the planning decision?