Guerilla doing stuff up

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Guerilla doing stuff up

Post by leenewham »

I love the gardening idea, but alas I don't have green fingers. But what about fixing things the council obviously don't care about.

For instance outside Somerfield are some wooden bollards that are all different colours and look tatty. I have some spare woodstain from my garden fences, anyone want to help paint them to make them look better?

What else could we do to make a little difference? Is it a good idea?
sean

Post by sean »

if you have the stuff then let's meet under a lamp post one night and get one with the job.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

It's a great idea Lee (although I can almost hear Bensonby thumbing through relevant acts and byelaws as we speak).

Could potentially be a bit soul-destroying if the fixed up stuff gets damaged/vandalised/etc, but it would be great if the community took the initiative in areas where the council are failing.
sean

Post by sean »

But that's why a lot of things thesedays are not done because of H&S.
People can use their common sense but let's just get out and do it and it may shame others to get their (shop owners/council etc) bums in gear.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Good idea Lee - you couldn't come round and do up my flat could you?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Only if you come round to my place first Thomas.

What things should we add to the list?
jackie

Post by jackie »

I have plenty of paint I could donate to East2West so that they could finish painting over the old photographer's sign
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

natbeuk wrote:It's a great idea Lee (although I can almost hear Bensonby thumbing through relevant acts and byelaws as we speak).
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence there netbeuk.

I have indeed been thinking about the legality of Guerilla gardening and geurilla "other stuff."

Whilst potentially it could be crminal damage (as you are changing something that would take time/effort/money to put back in its original state, I would actually argue that any "guerilla gardener (et al.)" could possibly have a defence under s.5 of the Criminal Damage Act. Arguably you have a "lawful excuse" :

s.5 2(a)

if at the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence he believed that the person or persons whom he believed to be entitled to consent to the destruction of or damage to the property in question had so consented, or would have so consented to it if he or they had known of the destruction or damage and its circumstances

[then he has a reasonable excuse]

I'd argue that the bit in bold is especially relevant.

Also:
s.5 2(b)

[a person has a lawful excuse if they commit damage in]
order to protect property belonging to himself or another
Arguably you could be protecting the land (et al) by gardening/repairing it.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Cheers Bensonby! Nice to see your legalistic pedantry being put to good use (ie agreeing with me) :wink:
zac hunter

Post by zac hunter »

when is this group gonna attack?