Review of polling places and districts - have your say

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Cllr Sophie Davis

Review of polling places and districts - have your say

Post by Cllr Sophie Davis »

Lewisham Council is undertaking a review of all polling district and places in the borough.

The proposals can be seen here - https://lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcouncil ... ict-review

We welcome views from any electors and especially those with a disability, or who have expertise in accessibility arrangements.

As councillors, we are also being consulted on those so feel free to post your feedback here if it’s easier and I can relay it.

The formal deadline is 29 October.
dorino

Re: Review of polling places and districts - have your say

Post by dorino »

Hello, I would ask that while polling placed are being reviewed that the council please refrain from using schools as polling stations. My daughters’ primary school, St Barts, is used as a polling station every year and with school holidays and inset days this extra day is too much. There are other sites which can be used instead of closing the school down for the day.

If you would pass that on, I’d be grateful. Thank you.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I am updating on the polling station review as we have looked at all possible venues for Sydenham ward and below is the proposed scheme for seven polling stations covering the ward.

Having two polling districts at The Sydenham Centre caused problems in May’s GLA elections and we have now agreed to see if we can book Our Lady and St Philip Neri Church Hall for the Lower Sydenham area including Fairlawn Park.

We do use two schools with suitable halls and in May I thought the schools were open including St Barts. We were in the smaller hall and when I called in there was a short queue but residents were maintaining their distance. St Michael’s has a separate entrance and has worked well for many years. We try to avoid closing schools and work with the schools to have suitable arrangements.

Proposed Polling Scheme Sydenham
District Electors Postal Voters Polling Station Voters
WSY3 1343 177 1166 Hillcrest Community Clubroom
WSY2 1712 239 1473 The Grove Centre
WSY4 1521 183 1338 St Bartholomew’s CoE School Hall
WSY1 1479 192 1287 St Bartholomew’s Church
WSY7 1371 191 1180 Our Lady and St Philip Neri Church Hall
WSY6 2282 288 1994 St Michael’s CoE School Hall
WSY5 2315 311 2004 The Sydenham Centre

If you have other comments please let me know - the next planned elections are for Lewisham Council on Thursday 5 May 2022.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Strange, as my kids school (Haseltine) is always closed to education on polling day.

A shame The Bridge has been closed, as that would have made a great place for polling day. Probably still would if the door was opened. I note the Bowling Club hasn't been abandoned yet either. There is also The Livesey Hall. The Church opposite it. The boxing club within the Livesey Grounds. The Library in Home Park. Etc...

But no, we're going to continue to shut a primary school instead. At least it'll give the kids a day off from pollution from the racetrack next door.

Anyway, consultation appears to be closed. Interesting to see the document, declaring Haseltine as Great Location with Great Facilities, which seems a world away from the description given by another councillor last week, who said it was 'hopelessly isolated'.