Sainsbury’s Local safety screen removal

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
witchesrave

Sainsbury’s Local safety screen removal

Post by witchesrave »

I have just been into the Sainsbury’s Local at Cobb’s Corner to find that they are currently removing all of the safety screens in place at the self service checkout. Why on Earth is this happening now - when Covid is still a significant problem with 100+ deaths a day? This is especially troublesome given that fact that barely anyone has the common decency to wear a mask in there anymore. The screens at least provided some small protection from crowding and didn’t affect ease of access to self service or the checkout - so why remove them?

While it would be nice to live without safety measures in place, we should only be doing that when it is actually safe.
angela53

Re: Sainsbury’s Local safety screen removal

Post by angela53 »

The plastic screens have proved to be a hindrance as restricting air flow so good news that the are being removed
Deaths are roughly 43 per day and daily cases no more than 40,000 per day despite the doom mongers predicting 100000 per day
Thankfully covid is now endemic as oppposed to a pandemic, lets get back on with life as normal
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Deaths are not an average of 43 per day. They are over 100 and the data for deaths by date reported only goes up to 17 September.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths
syd

Post by syd »

angela53 wrote: 4 Oct 2021 21:52 The plastic screens have proved to be a hindrance as restricting air flow so good news that the are being removed
Deaths are roughly 43 per day and daily cases no more than 40,000 per day despite the doom mongers predicting 100000 per day
Thankfully covid is now endemic as oppposed to a pandemic, lets get back on with life as normal
Wow that’s wrong. 143 people dies yesterday
witchesrave wrote: 4 Oct 2021 12:19 I have just been into the Sainsbury’s Local at Cobb’s Corner to find that they are currently removing all of the safety screens in place at the self service checkout. Why on Earth is this happening now - when Covid is still a significant problem with 100+ deaths a day? This is especially troublesome given that fact that barely anyone has the common decency to wear a mask in there anymore. The screens at least provided some small protection from crowding and didn’t affect ease of access to self service or the checkout - so why remove them?

While it would be nice to live without safety measures in place, we should only be doing that when it is actually safe.
Winter will be bad may I suggest you buy a PP3 mask they stop everything and it doesn't matter if others are not wearing masks
angela53

Post by angela53 »

and how many died of untreated cancer?
Most of these covid deaths are over 80 years
stuart

Post by stuart »

Angela - the opposite is true now. Most Covid deaths are under 80. You can check the ONS data which is updated weekly on a Tuesday.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales

Someone continues to feed you dangerous and untruthful stats. It is frightening what these evil people hope to gain from misleading you. Who are they?

HTH
Stuart
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

angela53 wrote: 7 Oct 2021 22:37 and how many died of untreated cancer?
Very few I would imagine, as we tend to treat cancer unless patients refuse or it is extremely advanced. There was some impact on cancer treatment, because the Govt kept waiting until they were told hospitals were not going to be able to cope before they did anything, making lockdowns longer and more severe, impacting on hospitals' ability to treat and detect other diseases. Our country also stopped treating cancer patients who had a positive test, because it was believed it would make the covid worse, which turned out to be untrue. Cancer outcomes in those cases were the worst of the countries in the EU looked at in a study, despite them having the same pandemic and lockdowns.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/219273/ ... following/
perryman

Post by perryman »

Actually, removing the screens possibly improves air flow to disperse fine air-born particles.
Then again larger particles will land fairly quickly and are perhaps better held in a more enclosed space.

What we can be sure of is no research has gone into this.
Unsurprisingly we have the highest dally covid19 case rate in the world.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Sorry, but that doesn't address Broken_Sharman's point that "we have the highest dally covid19 case rate in the world".

If you go to the government's own statistics dashboard you will see in the last 7 days we have had 253,626 new cases. That's a rate of approx 3,700 per million. Care to name a major nation that is higher or comes close?

Compared to our close european neighbours our vaccination, not withstanding a good early start, is falling behind and failing to stop infections and deaths to the same extent. We should be asking why?

EU countries with a higher vaccination rate than the UK and less consequent disruption: Malta, Portugal, Denmark, Spain, Ireland, Norway, Belgium, Italy, France, Finland. Source: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... ?tab=table

Stuart
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Wasn't my point. But she hasn't addressed any of my points either.

I assumed that meant she agreed with everything I typed.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Correct, on the whole I agree with you