The Hall prep school in the early 1900s

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Phili64

The Hall prep school in the early 1900s

Post by Phili64 »

I wonder if anyone might know anything about a prep school that once stood in Hall Drive. My great grandparents ran a small school there in the early 1900s. They appear in 1911 census records at The Hall, The Drive, Sydenham. I came across an old newspaper advert a while ago but can’t find anything else. I’d love to know where the school stood, when it was demolished and if there are any photos or images of it. Here’s hoping that someone can help! Thank you. :D
Michael Viner

Re: The Hall prep school in the early 1900s

Post by Michael Viner »

Hello,The Hall,or Sydenham Hall,Hall Drive stood on the site of todays Nos.15,17 and 19 Hall Drive, ie.on the left hand side(coming up from Westwood Hill) about half way up,just before the distinctive semi-circle of 1960s houses there.James Crosland Mallam started the prep school in the large former house of the Lawrie family in the early 1900s,as you mention.It was demolished in 1939.There is a very nice photo of it on page 44 of John Coulter & John Seaman’s 1st book of Sydenham & Forest Hill in old photographs.Hopefully,someone with a scanner will put it up here!