Planting Street Trees - Sponsor a tree for 2022 planting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ClareSTFL

Planting Street Trees - Sponsor a tree for 2022 planting

Post by ClareSTFL »

Street Trees for Living is a volunteer staffed charity working with local residents and Lewisham Council to plant street trees across the borough.
Expressions of interest are open until January for our Autumn/Winter 2022 planting cycle.

Residents or a group of residents can get to together to sponsor a tree for £350, and commit to watering it during spring and summer for two years. For full details please see our website here https://www.streettreesforliving.org/ and to register your interest.

We will then get in touch to do a survey of your street and if the site meets the council rules you will be able to choose species of tree you'd like to be planted next Autumn!
broken_shaman

Re: Planting Street Trees - Sponsor a tree for 2022 planting

Post by broken_shaman »

Should we expect the council to replace trees they originally planted and then removed or do we have to pay to have them replaced?

I used to live on a tree lined road, which is now much less green, but it would cost thousands of pounds to replace all the trees the council have removed. The tree outside my house (Cherry) is probably damaging my property, but I'm reluctant to do anything about it as I can't afford £350 to replace a tree that isn't even on my property.

This has been further complicated/ worsened by the installation of lots of crossovers and the loss of gardens, handed over to brick driveways.