Masks (again!)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Masks (again!)

Post by syd »

Hi all just checking if anyone will be changing their behaviour on the 27th? For me its business as usual, masks and distance but I think that the anti maskers will not be impressed.
stuart

Re: Masks (again!)

Post by stuart »

I'll be following the science.

Went to Covent Garden this afternoon. Spotted 2 out of 2,000 not wearing masks. Couldn't say the same for the train journeys. Why can we have 99.9% compliance in one place and flagrant disregard of science, the current law and vulnerable people in others?

Stuart
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I will continue to wear an Fp2 mask on public transport and in shops but not in the open air
despite the evidence of mask wearing being inconclusive
angela53

Post by angela53 »

The good news is that the uk infection rates continues to plumet unlike the rest of Europe
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 23 Jan 2022 20:23 I'll be following the science.

Went to Covent Garden this afternoon. Spotted 2 out of 2,000 not wearing masks. Couldn't say the same for the train journeys. Why can we have 99.9% compliance in one place and flagrant disregard of science, the current law and vulnerable people in others?

Stuart
I wonder if Covent Garden was full of tourists? I read a tweet from a Dr who was threatened for wearing a mask on a train as “covid is over and he’s a 🐑

How long until the first assault/ death
syd

Post by syd »

angela53 wrote: 23 Jan 2022 21:55 The good news is that the uk infection rates continues to plumet unlike the rest of Europe
Probably as there are no tests available and according to this report cases are under reported.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 98650.html

The changes will kill a lot of people since were averaging 300 deaths a day now.
stuart

Post by stuart »

syd wrote: 24 Jan 2022 08:42 I wonder if Covent Garden was full of tourists?
Sorry, I was referring to the Opera House. I am limiting myself to places where one can expect both the organisers and audiences to be taking care. So my outings tend to be places like the Wigmore Hall and Royal Festival Hall. I'm really missing venues like the Jazz Cafe.

The downside is to enjoy even these means sharing public transport with people who don't care about people's freedoms apart from their own. This week's relaxations will mean they will feel doubly entitled.

It would help if we could, as a country, create a consensus of what level of hospitalisations and deaths are acceptable trade-offs to removing or imposing restrictions rather than political expediency. That would be a target for everyone to work towards and introduce some certainty in dealing with an unpredictable virus.

Stuart
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Also still wearing masks.
I’ve been the only one in the gym doing so for months. I’m going to have to relax my “fear of death” stare from next week, when it is no longer compulsory.
Really looking forward to playing sardines on the tube again
The feeling of helplessness in this situation when you are clinically vulnerable is not pleasant.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I still intend to wear masks in closed spaces like shops etc, I think it's common sense at this point. Also, I've not had a cough or cold since this pandemic began and masks were mandatory, so it's win/win.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Mask off for me now.

Respect other people if they feel they need to wear one.
syd

Post by syd »

Well here we go again. Congrats 🥳 to all the non mask wearers

People tested positive in Lewisham
AVAILABLE AT LOCAL AUTHORITY (LOWER TIER) LEVEL.
Latest data provided on 3 February 2022
Daily
Last 7 days
Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEEN AN INCREASE OF 4,002(177%)
alywin

Post by alywin »

stuart wrote: 24 Jan 2022 12:42
syd wrote: 24 Jan 2022 08:42 I wonder if Covent Garden was full of tourists?
Sorry, I was referring to the Opera House. I am limiting myself to places where one can expect both the organisers and audiences to be taking care. So my outings tend to be places like the Wigmore Hall and Royal Festival Hall.
Me too. I noticed the Stalls Circle for Romeo & Juliet the other night had far higher compliance than the previous times when masks were only recommended rather than mandatory. (It's amazing what a good overview you get from the standing places!)
stuart

Post by stuart »

Repeated my trip to the Royal Opera last night.

Shocked that on our Overground carriage only 20/30% mask compliant. A little better on District Line. More shocking was the Opera House. 99% had slipped to about 70% despite repeated requests. Even more shocking was the HIGHEST compliance of the day should be the top deck of the returning 176.

We are all over the place on this issue. Guess that's because Public Health advice has been sidelined by a government almost totally consumed by crises of its own making and hence unable to fully address those impacting the rest of us.

Stuart

NB The latest two cases amongst friends & family led to week long nasty debilitating illness despite both being triple jabbed. Thankfully, without any underlying conditions. Vaccinations are effective but not a panacea for the vulnerable.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 8 Feb 2022 10:10 Repeated my trip to the Royal Opera last night.

Shocked that on our Overground carriage only 20/30% mask compliant. A little better on District Line. More shocking was the Opera House. 99% had slipped to about 70% despite repeated requests. Even more shocking was the HIGHEST compliance of the day should be the top deck of the returning 176.

We are all over the place on this issue. Guess that's because Public Health advice has been sidelined by a government almost totally consumed by crises of its own making and hence unable to fully address those impacting the rest of us.

Stuart

NB The latest two cases amongst friends & family led to week long nasty debilitating illness despite both being triple jabbed. Thankfully, without any underlying conditions. Vaccinations are effective but not a panacea for the vulnerable.
oh dear
Im in a high risk category and triple jabbed so I guess its Russian roulette for me.

I cant believe Im seen as expendable by this government and the opposition seem to agree.
perryman

Post by perryman »

'Let the bodies pile high'.
syd

Post by syd »

perryman wrote: 13 Feb 2022 17:17 'Let the bodies pile high'.
The lifting of restrictions is a political move and the only thing worse is the silence from Labour, what is the point of them? Another year in lockdown for me and Im truly grateful to have the choice, many vulnerable people will have an avoidable death this year.