Photos of Walter(Water?) Cobbs / Cobbs Corner during 30-40s?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
stone.d.d

Photos of Walter(Water?) Cobbs / Cobbs Corner during 30-40s?

Post by stone.d.d »

Hi,

My Nan worked in Walter / Water Cobbs during the 30s and I am trying to track down some photos. Does anyone have any photos of this area during the 30-40s (or later if the store existed!). Any information would be much appreciated.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

there are some great photographs of the area, including some grea shots of cobbs corner/the greyhound, in a book called Sydenham and Forest Hill - part of The Old Photographs Series, compiled by John Coulter and John Seaman. I am sure that Kirkdale Bookshop will have a copy of it, or another like it (there are numerous old photograph books on the area which are available).

They are fascinating, and show what an amazing area this is, especially before some of it was ruined by 'architects'.
Falkor

Cobbs

Post by Falkor »

Doubt these are quite as old as 30s-40s, but are some photos I saw in the Lewisham Local Studies centre... I think the 2 main books have better photos...

bregeorge

Post by bregeorge »

We lived in 24 Silverdale from 1944-1947 which I believed at one time belonged to the Cobbs family, would appreciate any photo's as it was pulled down in the 70s
Rebelmc

Re: Cobbs

Post by Rebelmc »

[quote="Falkor"]Doubt these are quite as old as 30s-40s, but are some photos I saw in the Lewisham Local Studies centre... I think the 2 main books have better photos...

If those cars are newish, the top one would certainly date from the mid 30's, that looks to me like a Morris 8 c1935 parked on the right.

The Chrysler Avenger on the roundabout in the second picture places it post 1977.