Trattoria Rafaele

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Good to hear that our experience was the rule rather than the exception, huntress. And no, I wasn't sitting with someone from the musical profession; we got there at about 9:15 and were seated on a table for two quite near the back of the restaurant. I agree that the waitress did seem to be finding her feet a little, but still delivered good service. The place is a definite asset for Sydenham and hopefully will do well - it certainly seemed busy enough on Friday and will be our first choice for Italian, rather than going up to Lorenzo's in CP or trekking across to Eco in Clapham.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

My Hubby and I paid a visit on Saturday evening, and although in our opinion it could do with a few little changes i.e. table cloths, softer lighting etc, it was overall a lovely meal. the staff were very welcoming (waitress still a little nervous) and the pizza and wine very good. the only issue may have been the waiting time for our main course, although this didn't bother us too much, and I'm sure things will speed up as they get into the 'swing' of things.

Good to have a place to walk too for a decent pizza!
Janeco

Trattoria Rafaele

Post by Janeco »

Hi - could those who have been there say if they do anything other than pizza as that's all I've seen mentioned - not a great fan of it but son is so happy to go if there is some alternative.
Thanks for any feedback.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

They have a very full pasta menu as well - plus two daily specials. A great addition to the high street!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I remember correctly it is £6.95 for a lunch course and a glass of wine. Might be a good way to try them out.

Would be nice if we got a tablecloth in the evening though ...

Admin
Janeco

Trattoria Rafaele

Post by Janeco »

Sounds good - we'll give it a try. For good Italian, can also highly recommend Le Querce in Brockley Rise - not Sydenham I know but not far away.
sophie

Post by sophie »

We were going to try it on Friday night but ended up going to the Mexican as I fancied a cocktail! Our first time at the Mexican and we thought the prices were pretty reasonable and the food okay. Not amazing but a decent enough place for a fun night out. Looking forward to trying the Italian next time we're out.
wingysc

Post by wingysc »

Ate there last night early, great Pizza fairly priced, Raffa is a local hope it works well for him! Well be a regular I think
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I went with my boyfriend last saturday and it was really good. The music was really nice and it was busy too - so had a nice atmosphere.

We had a calzone pizza and pasta, starters and a shared dessert for just over £30. All the food was really tasty and really good prices. It is definately a great addition to the high street.

I wish them the best of luck and we will def. be going back...!
poulet

Post by poulet »

I went a few times when it was Monte Cassino and always had a good experience. Tried out the new restaurant and I agree with the posters, good pizza & pasta, nice wine and great value. Went on a Wednesday and it was nearly full as well.

Is it new owners then?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Popped in on Friday. Good atmosphere, very friendly. Food was tasty & very good value, pitched just right for the location hence the popularity; tables slightly cramped but they need to squeeze the covers in as they were turning people away at the door on the night.

Would definately go back.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

The Clown wrote:Good atmosphere, very friendly. Food was tasty & very good value, pitched just right for the location hence the popularity; tables slightly cramped but they need to squeeze the covers in as they were turning people away at the door on the night.

Would definately go back.
DItto. Loved it. Would also go back. Pleasant interior, lovely food, warm and friendly service. Lovely addition to Sydenham.
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

does anyone know if they offer a delivery service?
sophie

Post by sophie »

We have finally been there and enjoyed ourselves immensely on Saturday night. Great value and really tasty. Don't think they do a delivery service but I am sure they will do take away. In fact, now you have me thinking about it perhaps that's what tonight's dinner will be!!!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We've just come back from there and really enjoyed it. Simple decor and simple but very fresh and tasty, (and reasonably priced) food. Its like what you would do yourself if you spent a whole afternoon sourcing fresh sardines, lemons, herbs, the right flour, the best olive oil, proscuttio ham juicy tomatoes etc etc then spent the early evening putting is all together. You might be very pleased with yourself and your guests would be keen to come back. We had a very short time to wait for out table and so I put my hand into the vase holding customers business cards... and who's was the second one I saw? Lee Newham. I put it back, I didn't want to scupper your chance of a gift Lee.
I, unlike others, didn't feel the need for tablecloths, the bare tables fit with the simplicity of the place. And you know the cost of washing white table cloths - both to the consumer (as the price would inevitably be passed on) and the environment is really high and not justified.
We'll be back.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hands off savvy, the prize is mine!!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Hopefully yes! Can't be mine, haven't got a business card. Haven't got a business.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Perhaps next time you could just ask to borrow one of their business cards and write your name, address and telephone number on the back Savvy? I wouldn't have thought they'd mind.

The business card draw (like most competitions) is normally a way for a business' to build up their customer database so that they can make contact regarding special-nights/offers and the like. My partner Katherine does it all the time and in the past 2months alone has won a Corporate box for the night to see Stevie Wonder at the 02 (which was outstanding) AND a genuine Chloe handbag.

It's always worth it, go for it - you could even use a slip of paper if you like.

Good luck.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Damn you Greg, I thought that handbag was mine!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

leenewham wrote:Damn you Greg, I thought that handbag was mine!
She won it from this site http://www.koodos.com/icat/chloehandbags - we've yet to see it as it's being delivered by bike to her work but rest assured if she keeps it (some Chloe handbags whilst terrifically expensive are really rather gaudy) you can have one of her old bags... :wink:

Good luck to you for the draw Lee. What's the prize on offer at Trattoria Rafaele?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 26 Oct 2008 16:57, edited 2 times in total.