Broken window theory

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
broken_shaman

Re: Broken window theory

Post by broken_shaman »

Had something similar near me. It was Anglian building a conservatory and using the road and pavement to dump the soil they'd dug out. It was collected by a grabber lorry. Reckon similar here, especially because of the warning cones. Illegal, but hard to get the council to react quickly enough to catch it before it's gone.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 17 Dec 2023 16:54 Thought this was yet more roadworks until I looked a little closer.

No hole. It would appear some local flytipper has gifted Lawrie Park Gardens this present for Christmas. Lewisham Council Taxpayers will have to pay to get it carted away.

Bastards. I asked for no dumping signs from the council and I bought some cctv stickers for the lampposts from Amazon for a few quid.

They seem to be working

Good luck and merry Christmas !!
AndrewMorris

Post by AndrewMorris »

Small fixes can make a big difference. On my street, we're dealing with potholes that are like craters – gonna report them and hope for some asphalt magic.
syd

Post by syd »

AndrewMorris wrote: 28 Jan 2024 11:50 Small fixes can make a big difference. On my street, we're dealing with potholes that are like craters – gonna report them and hope for some asphalt magic.
How did it go? I’m going for speed humps on my road
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

On a proactive note... I chucked a load of wildflower seeds on the raised beds by Stanton Way in Autumn. Just after Glendale had cut it back. Starting to see some Yellow Rattle coming through and some Common Corncockle. Hopefully some more will come, but the grass could have done with a cut in Feb / March. Yellow Rattle is supposed to keep the grass down though,.when it gets established. Which gives some space for the wildflowers. Unfortunately, can't rely on Glendale, as they strimmed all the tiny saplings parents from the school had planted when they did the first one! Even when told about them. Council gave permission too.

I also spread a load of wildflower seeds on the scorched earth by the old gas holders. A lot of tiny plants growing there now, but no idea what they are. Could be existing plants though and the bramble is already springing up. Hopefully any approval of the development won't eradicate them before winter. If anything appears and isn't choked with bindweed and bramble. I'm currently trying to keep it litter free while it is short.

I've also been starting sunflowers at home and planted 9 on the bed by Haseltine last week with the boys. Having a bit of trouble with the rest as they don't seem to be able to stand up alone. May have started to early, as the weather has been so awful through spring. Until recently.

There's a great collection of Oxeye Daisies growing by the McDonalds advert next the pedestrian entrance to Sainsbury's on Southend Lane side too. Nothing to do with me. Guessing they will be strimmed by Sainsbury's contractors soonish, so have a look while you can.

I do think making the green areas more attractive might cut down on some littering. Although people will still chuck an empty can in some flowers it would seem...