One-Place-Studies (OPS) – How you can put a spotlight on the uniqueness of Sydenham places.

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Charleville

One-Place-Studies (OPS) – How you can put a spotlight on the uniqueness of Sydenham places.

Post by Charleville »

Recently, I stumbled upon an intriguing concept known as One-Place-Studies (OPS), which opened up online avenues for sharing my insights into places with which I hold a special connection.

Previously, I've shared personal anecdotes about my childhood home in Charleville Circus on this forum, hoping that some of you found enjoyment in my reflections.

Expanding on this endeavour, I delved into the history of the entire street and its immediate surroundings. After exploring various OPS platforms, I found WikiTree to be unmatched in its capabilities.

WikiTree, as the name suggests, is a genealogy tool offering a shared global repository of family connections, freely accessible and joinable without any subscription or fee. A newer feature of the platform is OPS, allowing users to create wiki-style pages for various places of study, ranging from individual buildings to entire streets or small towns. In addition to documenting historical events and physical structures, OPS facilitates connections between individuals and the places they inhabit.

Drawing upon the knowledge I've amassed, I initiated this study:
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Cha ... lace_Study

I hope you find the content interesting and possibly be inspired to contribute to this topic or start your own local place of interest. This is one of the first OPS in South London on WikiTree. Wouldn't it be something to make a cluster of locally connected places?

Your comments and ideas are most welcome!
Last edited by Charleville on 18 Apr 2024 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Charleville

Re: One-Place-Studies (OPS) – How you can put a spotlight on the uniqueness of Sydenham places.

Post by Charleville »

I've organised the page in the form of a timeline, covering the entire street, with an ambitious plan to delve into a more detailed historical examination of each property. In section 1.5, titled "Former Residents by Individual Property," I've currently only linked to my childhood home, No. 15, as a prototype model. By utilising census records, online journals, newspaper archives, and our family records, I've managed to construct a narrative of the former residents of this single house. For certain individuals, particularly servants mentioned in the census records, I've created separate profile pages on WikiTree. These profiles serve as breadcrumbs for future researchers to follow back to the property and its surrounding neighbourhood.

Complete the circle...

It would be fantastic to engage current residents of Charleville Circus, or anyone with an interest, in joining the project to research and document each property, with the goal of 'completing the circle.' I'm hopeful of uncovering additional old photographs, beyond those in our family collection, which as far as I'm aware, are the only existing local scenes of any vintage.