Did you vote?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Did you vote?

Post by syd »

Hey, I voted Count Binface. I want proper cycle lanes so there was no way I’d vote for Sadiq again. Johnson was a disaster but he did have some ideas and we nearly had a cycle super highway!
stuart

Re: Did you vote?

Post by stuart »

The reason why we, unlike so many other boroughs, don't have decent cycle lanes lies nearer home. The original City Hall Superhighway plan was to bring one to Sydenham. That was squashed by a certain mayoral petrolhead (allegedly).

I have to admit the Count had the most impressive manifesto:
https://www.countbinface.com/2024-manifesto

I`m afraid mine was not a positive vote but designed to frustrate one of the neo—fascists from gaining power.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I voted green x3. Not expecting anything from it. But really struggling to vote Labour, based on interactions with the council over a long period (though I have had recent productive conversations with Louise Krupski, who is now deputy mayor, about the litter issues).

I really think it's time some councillors for Bellingham and Perry Vale stepped down and handed the golden chalice to people with more vision and ambition. They seem tired and out of touch.

How these people walk around the area and are happy with what they see is beyond me. Especially around Bell Green.

Sounds like the council is likely to approve the development at the former gas holder site too, despite it being rubbished by TFL and the GLA. I'm supportive of redevelopment across the site, but in a sustainable fashion, rather than cramming them in as tightly as possible.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 3 May 2024 20:29 The reason why we, unlike so many other boroughs, don't have decent cycle lanes lies nearer home. The original City Hall Superhighway plan was to bring one to Sydenham. That was squashed by a certain mayoral petrolhead (allegedly).

I have to admit the Count had the most impressive manifesto:
https://www.countbinface.com/2024-manifesto

I`m afraid mine was not a positive vote but designed to frustrate one of the neo—fascists from gaining power.
I had no idea it was a local decision. I will investigate I need cycle lanes!! And The Count beat Britain First :lol:
syd

Post by syd »

broken_shaman wrote: 3 May 2024 20:47 I voted green x3. Not expecting anything from it. But really struggling to vote Labour, based on interactions with the council over a long period (though I have had recent productive conversations with Louise Krupski, who is now deputy mayor, about the litter issues).

I really think it's time some councillors for Bellingham and Perry Vale stepped down and handed the golden chalice to people with more vision and ambition. They seem tired and out of touch.

How these people walk around the area and are happy with what they see is beyond me. Especially around Bell Green.

Sounds like the council is likely to approve the development at the former gas holder site too, despite it being rubbished by TFL and the GLA. I'm supportive of redevelopment across the site, but in a sustainable fashion, rather than cramming them in as tightly as possible.
. I agree when I see places like Honor Oak and Brockley improve and here we are as it was in the 2000’s I do get a bit angry. The fact that the sorting out the monstrosity and getting a Nando’s had to be sorted out by members of this forum says an everything. I never though about becoming a councillor…until now
Forester

Post by Forester »

syd wrote: 4 May 2024 16:11
broken_shaman wrote: 3 May 2024 20:47 I voted green x3. Not expecting anything from it. But really struggling to vote Labour, based on interactions with the council over a long period (though I have had recent productive conversations with Louise Krupski, who is now deputy mayor, about the litter issues).

. I agree when I see places like Honor Oak and Brockley improve and here we are as it was in the 2000’s I do get a bit angry. The fact that the sorting out the monstrosity and getting a Nando’s had to be sorted out by members of this forum says an everything. I never though about becoming a councillor…until now
One of the interesting aspects of the May 2024 local election results has been the number of non-party independent councillors elected. I'm sure the same thing could happen in neglected areas like Sydenham and Forest Hill, if competent local people were willing to stand.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The thing about local councillors is that many aren't really political. The colour of the rosette isn't always a reflection of their world views. Some people just want to crack on and get things done and backing of a political party is often just a convenient way of getting elected.
syd

Post by syd »

Forester wrote: 5 May 2024 05:50
syd wrote: 4 May 2024 16:11

One of the interesting aspects of the May 2024 local election results has been the number of non-party independent councillors elected. I'm sure the same thing could happen in neglected areas like Sydenham and Forest Hill, if competent local people were willing to stand.
I’m doing some research 🧐