Thames water and the vomiting bug (cholera) in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Thames water and the vomiting bug (cholera) in Sydenham

Post by syd »

Oh dear I’m boiling my water for a while

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... osporidium

Thames Water has sent samples of water for lab testing after dozens of people reported becoming unwell with stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea in south-east London.

Earlier this month, unsafe drinking water led to more than 100 cases of a waterborne disease in Devon, with people asked to boil their water because of contamination fears.

After cryptosporidium, a disease that can cause symptoms such as diarrhoea and vomiting, was detected in the water supply in the Brixham area of Devon 10 days ago, 17,000 households and businesses were told by South West Water not to use their tap water for drinking without boiling and cooling it first.

Now residents in Beckenham have reported being struck by a stomach bug which is causing days of vomiting and diarrhoea. They include a four-year-old boy suffering days of vomiting, and an adult woman who was so unwell she went to hospital with stomach pain, vomiting and dehydration.
alywin

Re: Thames water and the vomiting bug (cholera) in Sydenham

Post by alywin »

Oh dear. I had what I thought was a bit of a stomach bug last weekend, but it wasn't nearly as bad as these reports indicate.

https://insidecroydon.com/2024/05/25/no ... kness-bug/

By the way, I don't see any reference to "cholera" in the Guardian article.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Concerning - Has anyone got news about whether any of these local (to Sydenham) tests have come back positive with signs of pollution and bad bacteria?

It's good to hear Thames Water is testing and I would hope (with their current reputation) that they shout from the rooftops if no evidence of dirty water is found. Trust in them is at rock bottom and I hope they realise this and reassure communities appropriately.

I don't want rumours of dirty water forcing anyone away from London Tap Water on health grounds. Bottled water is so wasteful and I hope unnecessary. If it's dirty tell us and sort it out - but if it's clean tell us loud and clear.
syd

Post by syd »

It's good to hear Thames Water is testing and I would hope (with their current reputation) that they shout from the rooftops if no evidence of dirty water is found. Trust in them is at rock bottom and I hope they realise this and reassure communities appropriately.

I don't want rumours of dirty water forcing anyone away from London Tap Water on health grounds. Bottled water is so wasteful and I hope unnecessary. If it's dirty tell us and sort it out - but if it's clean tell us loud and clear.
Thames water is using lawyer speak!
Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
#Beckenham We can confirm there are no failures from the Central Sydenham water zone.

Our technicians collected samples from a property in the area on Tuesday 22 May following customers contacting the business (1/4)

Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
Initial on site testing carried out by our accredited technician did not indicate an aesthetic issue with the water, further samples were also collected for laboratory analysis and results showed no concerns (2/4)

Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
We take the quality of our water extremely seriously – it is the highest quality drinking water in the world – and since 2010 more than 99.95% of tests taken from customers’ taps met the standard required by UK and European legislation (3/4)
Just John

Post by Just John »

syd wrote: 27 May 2024 06:37

Thames water is using lawyer speak!
Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
#Beckenham We can confirm there are no failures from the Central Sydenham water zone.

Our technicians collected samples from a property in the area on Tuesday 22 May following customers contacting the business (1/4)

Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
Initial on site testing carried out by our accredited technician did not indicate an aesthetic issue with the water, further samples were also collected for laboratory analysis and results showed no concerns (2/4)

Thames Water 💧
@thameswater
·
May 25
We take the quality of our water extremely seriously – it is the highest quality drinking water in the world – and since 2010 more than 99.95% of tests taken from customers’ taps met the standard required by UK and European legislation (3/4)
well... not a word of truth in that statement from Thames Water. Our water is undrinkable BUT I have had a severe stomach bug...