Boats moored at The Greyhound.

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Greg Whitehead

Boats moored at The Greyhound.

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Under the gallery section of the STF there's a piece about The Greyhoud.
It was also a resting place for those who used the canal for work or recreation. An early painting shows pleasure boats moored against a landing stage beside the inn.
Do you, Steve, or anyone else happen to know what became of this picture or where one could view it?
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Hi Greg
I think this may be the image you mean.

The greyhound would be 50 yards uphill to the right of Doo's wharf, which is shown here. it occupied more or less the area of the up platform of sydenham station
this view, from further north, shows the layout;

this view, from south of the bridge shows the inlet into the wharf, just visible under the bridge.

I've bumped up the 'pictures of the croydon canal' thread for reference.
I hope this helps
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Interesting, so did they drain the canal to make the railway line?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

It does help thank you Will. I'm very pleased you've responded to my question. I can visualise where everything was now (I think). For example on 'view54' the pallets stacked on the left hand side on the inlet would have been where the Railway Tavern now is and to the right where Doo's Wharf would have been is now part The Greyhound car park and part Spring Hill Gardens? The lone female being situated roughly where the ticket hall now is on the down platform?

Very interesting, thank you Will.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Yes, where it follows the line the canal was infilled, but the rail line is obviously more direct, and the canal at this point meandered slightly to the west, so that young lady in the picture is probably in the middle of the tracks or at the edge of the down platform.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

will greenwood wrote:
Yes, where it follows the line the canal was infilled, but the rail line is obviously more direct, and the canal at this point meandered slightly to the west, so that young lady in the picture is probably in the middle of the tracks or at the edge of the down platform.
I see. So the railway bridge has been rebuilt? It appears thinnner and less substantial than the one pictured below?
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

indeed.
Sydenham rd is much wider than at the time of the canal, although, having rechecked my data, the canal did run along the lines fairly directly after it curved in from silverdale, roughly at the north end of the platform.
I imagine the bridge was extended eastwards, and widthways.