Planning Watch 4

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Planning Watch 4

Post by admin »

Latest:

Application Number: DC/08/68416/FT
Registration Date: 29 / 10 / 2008
Ward Name: Sydenham
Proposal: The change of use of the ground floor shop at 105 Sydenham Road SE26 to a restaurant / takeway service (Use Class A3 /A5), together with the installation of extract ducting to the rear.
More info: http://tinyurl.com/5kd3mu

Application Number: DC/08/69510/X
Registration Date: 23 / 10 / 2008
Ward Name: Forest Hill
Proposal: The construction of a three storey building on land adjoining 27 Fransfield Grove SE26 to provide 3 one bedroom self-contained flats with underground parking for the provision of 7 car parking spaces and refuse/bicycle stores. (AMENDED DESCRIPTION)
More info: http://tinyurl.com/5heocu

Application Number: DC/08/70116/FT
Registration Date: 21 / 10 / 2008
Proposal: Fell a Horse Chestnut tree and reduce to previous pollard points a Sycamore tree, both trees AREA TPO, at the rear of 4 Westwood Place, SE26.
More info: http://tinyurl.com/5velmx

Application Number: DC/08/69946/FT
Registration Date: 17 / 10 / 2008
Proposal: The construction of single storey and first floor extensions to the rear of 17 Lawrie Park Avenue SE26, together with alteration to the front elevation.
More info: http://tinyurl.com/5lcg9e

Application Number: DC/08/70032/X
Registration Date: 10 / 10 / 2008
Ward Name: Bellingham
Location: Stanton Square Industrial Estate, Stanton Way, London, SE26
Proposal: The demolition of two buildings on the site of Stanton Square Industrial Estate, Stanton Way SE26 and the construction of a four storey, L- shaped building incorporating fascia translucent panel with illuminated blue LED lighting to the top floor around the building to provide self storage (Use Class B8), (floor area 8897m2) with office facilities (Use Class B1), (floor area 530m2) together with the installation of a 4 metre high boundary fencing and gate to the front, with lights on the perimeters facing downwards and the provision of associated landscaping, bicycle/bin stores,16 car parking spaces including 2 for disabled use.
More info: http://tinyurl.com/63bvmk

Previous Planning Watch 3 can be found here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2710

Admin
parklife

Post by parklife »

Does anyone know what 105 sydenham road is now ?
Please not going to be another chicken take away !
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

105 Sydenham Road looks like this:
http://www.sydenham.org.uk/shopshop/9012.html

Planning permission was refused - they wanted to open a restaurant/ take-away but putting together 3 non-A1 uses together would be contrary to the Council's plans for the area. Worth noting that of the 15 responses received by the Council, 14 were against.

The thing that gets me about the high street is that despite everyone here saying how rubbish it is, there are people out there who want to make it worse!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

maybe, just maybe, we are approaching saturation point with (chicken) takeaway shops. I cannot imagine that a takeaway shop would make nearly as much money, as (for example) an organic butchers, a deli' etc etc.

I love the fact that in Thomas's link it shows a pound shop on one side and a fish and chicken takeaway on the other. Oh, the irony

Ali B
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yes, you might think that someone thinking of opening a take-away might walk down the high street and begin to realise that there are already rather a lot there already! Have these people no imagination at all?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I made a suggestion yesterday that may have gotten lost in the thread. I'll cut and paste it below.

How viable do we think this idea is?

Quotation as follows:

I do wonder if we shouldn't devote some space on this forum to a 'vote for the next shop' system. Julie Sutch could earn her considerable corn that we pay her by posting the 'enquiries' she has received. Something like 'Mr X would like to turn number 176 Sydenham Road into an ye-olde-worlde sweet emporium' We can then vote yes or no. If there are enough yes's she can give the go-ahead. If there are enough no's then she will think twice about opening ANOTHER sodding pound-shop that is a sore on the face of the high-street (doesn't she actually ever SEE how few people actually frequent these god-forsaken blights on the high-street)? Or is that too simplistic? At least this way if there isn't enough support for the scheme then if in five years time if the high-street is still mainly full of ghastly peddlers of vulgar wares then we've only ourselves to blame.
simon

Post by simon »

Its east2west now, great improvement!?!
I wonder what sort of takeaway was planned.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Thomas, in all fairness, 105 looks much better now that they have redone the front displays and have put up new signage. Not great, but better than before.

While not in the same thread in which Greg mentioned it, but the idea about Julie posting propsed shops on the high street and get forumites to vote if they want the shop would be great,... if Julie had control over who rents shops. She could influence the decision, maybe ultimately, it is the shop owner who decides they let to.

What Julie can/should be doing is enticing business to the area that are needed/wanted, making sure that the right mix of usage designations is maintained, that the Sydenham is clean and maintained and providing assistance to local shop owners on improving business. ( to name a few).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Simon - you are indeed right that no105 is now East2West - I try to avert my gaze when walking past so I had forgotten that. Oddly enough the application for the takeaway was received by the Council in March but only decided a couple of days ago, by which time East2West had opened up.

Not sure what powers Julie has to deliver whatever ideas we might have - I think Scott's ideas about her role are broadly right.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Oh, ok. I mistakenly assumed the Town Centre Manager would wield some power in these matters. I had always blamed her for the mainly down-at-heel nature of Sydenham Road. I had always felt the preference for chicken shops, nail-parlours and pound shops were as these are her favourites (or should that be 'favorit' as the old Lokal is now called?) and Sydenham Road was in her mirror-image.

It does beggar belief. Do none of these business-men have any business acumen? When I walk up and down (admittedly mainly at weekends) the only places that have constantly seemed to be doing good/excellent trade are catering for the more affluent. There never seems to be anyone in these food-poisoning shacks or these chintz-emporiums. Quite why anyone thinks we need another peddler of tat I'll never know. Or are they fronts for criminal organisations in the same way cab-shops are?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 31 Oct 2008 11:42, edited 2 times in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

East to West could have looked much better, but for some inexplicable reason they chose to create a back lit illuminated sign (which is against Lewisham Planning Laws according to previous conversations I have had with the council).

Wierd that they would spend so much on a horrible sign. These illuminated signs are expensive to run and install (I looked into it and had quotes at over £2000!).

The sign for Sugahill cost £200.

Why can't businesses in the high street get the concept of 'keep it simple'? Why are so many obsessed with covering ever inch of a sign with clutter? The whole point of a sign is to say who you are, differentiate, communicate what you sell and what the shopping experience is like.

East2west have covered their sign it with Gawdy graphics and offer nothing new. It looks neither fresh, quality or trustworthy (and the rotten pack of courgettes proudly displayed confirmed that).

So many shops in the high street could so look much better if they paid homage to the building they inhabit, go back to the original shop fronts but with modern signage, simple graphics, clean out the clutter and looked at what is next to them so the shops work TOGETHER rather than treating each one as an island with nothing beside it. At the very least some shops could give themselves a lick of paint.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Greg Whitehead wrote:. If there are enough no's then she will think twice about opening ANOTHER sodding pound-shop that is a sore on the face of the high-street (doesn't she actually ever SEE how few people actually frequent these god-forsaken blights on the high-street)?
At least three of those supposed pound shops are actually very much like old-fashioned general stores; stocking an astonishing range of goods, most of which are not readily available elsewhere on the High Street. In the last week I have fulfilled urgent requirements for a small crowbar, builder's foam, and a chip pan using my favourite amongst them. It certainly doesn't seem to lack customers.

Regards
Chris
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

chrisj1948 wrote:
Greg Whitehead wrote:. If there are enough no's then she will think twice about opening ANOTHER sodding pound-shop that is a sore on the face of the high-street (doesn't she actually ever SEE how few people actually frequent these god-forsaken blights on the high-street)?
At least three of those supposed pound shops are actually very much like old-fashioned general stores; stocking an astonishing range of goods, most of which are not readily available elsewhere on the High Street. In the last week I have fulfilled urgent requirements for a small crowbar, builder's foam, and a chip pan using my favourite amongst them. It certainly doesn't seem to lack customers.

Regards
Chris
Well there is one vote for more pound shops. Pray tell, which one is your favourite Chris. I may even venture in one cold night in hell...for the experience. It may even be...pleasant [?] given that I normally only ever shop in John Lewis and the such. A change is as good as a holiday. I'm not saying they're not handy, as in the example cited above but I stand by the statement that other than Chris, who uses them as they're always empty when I walk past? And they sell tat from what I can see.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Most of the pound shop stock is rubbish from China, although I always go there for batteries, etc. I bought a Panasonic 9V battery for £1 yesterday, aren't they normally over £2.50 in supermarkets?

Musti's pound shop (the original one with the pig sign) is just as Chis describes, stepping into a 1950's general store. There's no need for more than 1 on Sydenham Road and we do need a better mix of shops.

Let's remember that many Sydenhamites are not (how shall I put it?)... discerning. Many have just arrived in this country and don't have much money to set up home. I was in the Fresh and Fruity the other day and somebody wouldn't pay 20p for a banana - they mumbled something about going to the market in Peckham as Sydenham's too expensive!

I have many friends from Dulwich village who come to Sydenham's pound shops and Paulro's to dress their private school-educated children! :o

The grass is always greener.....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

But the pound shops just look so horrible.

Most pound shops seem to see exactly the same stuff. Some useful, some, well, to quote Borat, 'not so much'.

Years ago shops looked crafted rather than garish. And I don't think anyone would say no to any pound shops at all. The high street should be for everyone. And there should be a variety of shops for everyone.

The problem we have is that there appears to be no strategy. Julie Sutch should have a plan of action, a strategy for the gaps in the market that are missing, what businesses we should be attracting to the high street.

Nasaroc is right on this (he posts on the se23.com site about this issue.). What is her strategy? And why are we not enforcing the guidelines Lewisham has on shop fronts?
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

I agree with mummycat. Musti's "pound shop plus" is more of a general store and is by far the most useful shop on the high street (in my opinion). Pound shop is a misnomer for this place as many of the items are over a pound (for those with mouse problems, I recommend the mouse glue at £2).

I once purchased some push button LED lights for the interior of a dark wardrobe - £1.50 at Musti's - £15 for 4 on QVC!

The owner is very impressive who seems to know where everything is despite the fact that everything seems to be rammed in!

The other pound shops are not really worth the effort, sadly, and do not look very nice to boot.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, I was reading Nasaroc's postings this morning, (under Provender to Close thread).

My pet hate is the new business who install horrible metal shutters, also against Lewisham guidelines. At night this place must look like 'Nam - Vietman, not Sydenham!

By the way, I noticed that Musti's pound shop is the only place in Sydenham to stock GoGo's Crazy Bones. Ha Ha! No more need for trips to Dulwich or Beckenham, we have it all here! :D
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Why can't Nasaroc post on this forum too, like he used to? He's one of the few posters who knows what he's talking about! :lol:
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

leenewham wrote:The problem we have is that there appears to be no strategy. Julie Sutch should have a plan of action, a strategy for the gaps in the market that are missing, what businesses we should be attracting to the high street.
You've hit the nail on the head there Lee. I would very much like to know what Julie Sutch actually does, day-to-day, to "manage" Sydenham High Street. If she doesn't have any influence over which types of business open up on the high street, what exactly does she manage? The colour of the litter bins? (in fact I won't get started on Lewisham Blue)

I looked on her section of the Lewisham Council website and could only find this document: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... nalPDF.pdf. It lists the Greyhound and Cobb's Corner (a burnt-out pub next to a concrete roundabout, nice!) as the number 1 and 2 attractions in Sydenham.

I'm open to being shouted down over my ignorance about what she actually delivers, but I can't help wondering if a Sydenham town centre manager with no authority or apparent strategy is worth having?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Greg Whitehead wrote: Well there is one vote for more pound shops. Pray tell, which one is your favourite Chris.
Musti's. He has four-fifth's of the stuff I find I need urgently. If you come out of Musti's and turn left down towards Bell Corner the next two also have a 'general store' character and are useful. The others on the High Street could be turned into quiche parlours without my feeling any regret.

We moved to Sydenham Road, close to the Newlands Park junction, from Chigwell about 18 months ago. The children and their friends were horrified by the decision. I understood their feelings; Sydenham Road seemed like a strip of sleaze in an otherwise harmless neighbourhood. The presence of 'good' pound shops was a factor in reconciling me to the move!

Regards
Chris