Impatient drivers on Westwood Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

Impatient drivers on Westwood Hill

Post by mummycat »

This afternoon, (4.40pm) I was walking down Westwood Hill with my 2 children from the High School towards Cobbs Corner and I couldn't believe the appalling driving I witnessed....

We were driven at 3 times, at different points on the hill, by drivers trying to overtake queuing traffic. As I gestured for them to stay on the road (I wasn't rude - remember my children were with me!), each one gestured either obsenities or that they had to mount the pavement to get up the hill!

Also, one back seat passenger left his car in a fit of road rage to remove both the metal signs (diversion & stop at the red light) and cones, so his driver could mount the pavement and create a 2-way carriageway up the hill. Pedestrians at their peril!

I didn't have my mobile on me to take a photo or anything to record number plates, but I shall be prepared now!

Is this normal behaviour? Has anyone else witnessed similar actions?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why do not people just listen to radio 4 and stay calm. I am afraid Britain is not what it was. Patience is a virtue.
motherhen

Post by motherhen »

i have witnessed this too, as a driver, the problem is that when the lights are green the cars go but if there is a build up of traffic beyond the green fencing when the oncoming cars turns green they cannot go forward due to the back log, thus the lights then turn green again in the opposite direction and it is grid lock. If you dare to stop when the lights are green to anticipate there may be a jam ahead the cars behind you start beeping and then you feel compelled to drive ahead which is when people start to go up on to the pavement. Its not what they should be doing but it is often the only way to get the traffic moving.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, unfortunately the traffic lights aren't the best solution - obviously thought up by someone who's not aware of the Cobbs Corner roundabout traffic queue every evening!

Since my posting on Tuesday, my concern has been passed to Lewisham Police's Traffic division at Catford. I'm not the only one who has raised concern and I've been promised future surveillance.