Sydenham Hill Nature Reserve Relics

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Illuminance

Sydenham Hill Nature Reserve Relics

Post by Illuminance »

Went for a walk to sweat off a hangover yesterday through Sydenham Hill Nature Reserve. Whilst mooching along the old CP to Nunhead railway line the other half and I discovered an old structure that resembles a chapel of sorts. Most of it has fallen down and only measures approx. 5 metres square; it looks a few hundred years old. There are also other brick-built remains nearby in the wood.

Does anybody have info on the age and use of these buildings? They are set back a significant distance away from the railway line so I presume were not associated.

I've lived in Sydenham and Penge for nearly ten years and didn't realise that such a tranquil 'getaway' was right on my doorstep. Shall be visiting more often from now on. Ended our walk at the Horniman, always worth a visit. And got the 176 home :)
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

When the Crystal Palace came to Sydenham in 1854 this area became somewhere fashionable to live and some splendid houses were built in the roads around the Palace, including on Sydenham Hill.

The gardens of these houses ran down to the railway line. I have always understood that the "ruins" you encountered was in fact a Victorian folly built in one of those gardens.

You are right, Illuminance. The tranquil getaway is something very special. Sydenham Hill Woods and Dulwich Woods - there is a line of green posts in the middle of the woods marking the boundary - are somewhere one can get away from the sounds of everyday life and we are privileged to be able to enjoy them.

They are managed by London Wildlife Trust, who organise various woodland events. The next one is specially for insomniacs - a Dawn Chorus Walk on Saturday 22 April, meeting at the Crescent Wood Road entrance at 4.30 am - warm clothing and stout shoes are advised - and don't forget the binoculars!

In the mid-eighties there were attempts to build housing on some of the land and two public inquiries took place after a major public outcry locally. Fortunately common sense prevailed and permission was refused. The woods are now safe from future development and designated Metroplolitan Open Land